Author Topic: nc star scope  (Read 1503 times)

Offline nea243

• Trade Count: (0)
nc star scope
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:42:52 PM »
has anyone used a nc star scope on their center fire contender. i have a 2-7x32 on 17hmr barrel it has work fine just wondering if they would hold up under recoil from a center fire.

nea243
take a kid hunting, for they are our future!

Offline RWD

• Trade Count: (1)
nc star scope
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:32:41 PM »
Iffy, depending on the caliber. Only took 15 rounds from my 40-65 to ruin it, but that one has some punch to it. I think it's $10 to ship it back tho for a new replacement.

Offline nea243

nc star scope
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:58:16 AM »
rwd  was thinking about putting one on my 14'' 30-30 i like the eye relief and the glass is clear even on 7 power. :eek:

nea243

Offline jw4570

• Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 02:59:47 PM »
I'll probably take some grief for this,  but I'd buy a higher quality scope.  I had one on a 10/22 that I bought and I didn't like it, took it off.

No, I don't have it anymore either.

I am only trying to buy high quality scopes like Leupold.  The Burris that came on 2 of my contender barrels have been fine (357 AMP and 375 Win).

Jason

Offline nea243

nc star scope
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
jw4570; what didn't u like about the nc star scope? what power was it? what do u use your 10/22 for. i plan to use it hunting deer 25 to 75 yard shots. :-)

steve

Offline wheelgun

• Contributor
nc star scope
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 02:07:43 AM »
I have a 4x and the 2-7x.The glass is clear and no problems yet.I have the 2-7 on a 6.5 tcu barrel the 4x on a 35 rem barrel.I have shot the 6.5 alot but the 35 has not been shot over 50 times.I bought these when they first came out, they are cheap scopes I paid $50.00 for both.I would not put one on a big boomer for hunting if they are going to break thats when it will happen.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
nc star scope
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 05:07:47 AM »
I would not put one on a big boomer for hunting if they are going to break thats when it will happen.

That is the best reason for not buying cheap scopes.  Why risk ruining a hunt?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline jw4570

• Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »
It was a variable power scope.  It suffered the cheap Vari syndrome, change the power, the bullet moves.  I was sighting it in at 50 yards.  It was fine with leaving it on 6x.  It was also characteristic cheap scope that the 1/4" may be 1/2" or 2" per click, completely unpredictable.

Once sighted in, it seemed ok.  But I just didn't trust.  

Not that anything better is on the 10/22 now, it's got a Tasco Pronghorn on it, but it worked better than the Nc Star.

But I've sworn off cheap scopes like cheap whiskey, but I drink cheap beer to afford nice scopes.  I should quit the beer altogether, more scopes.

Seriously, skip going to the Outback for one meal, and that's half the price of a Leupold or other nice Scope.

Speaking of Cheap scopes, I had a tasco 4x World Class last 3 rounds of a 375 H&H with light loads.  I was going to have two detachable scopes, one for 210 grainers for deer and one for 270 gr for other game.  Did I send back to Tasco, nope, it wasn't the hassle, and most replies on the internet said Tasco blamed them for it, and tried to charge for user inflicted damage.

Buy a Nikon, they are cheaper than a Leupold, but I've been trying to keep my money in the US.  There's always the used market, and Leupold's warranty is lifetime, even if you didn't buy it.

Offline A MOOSE 4 GOD

nc star scope
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »
WELL GUYS I'VE HEARD ALL KINDS OF REPORTS ON THE NcSTARS. I'VE BEEN LAUGHED AT FOR MY SAVAGE 7MM MAG RIFLE BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAP. KILLED LOTS OF DEER AT LONG RANGES. I BOUGHT IT TO HUNT WITH NOT TO KEEP IT IN A SHOW CASE. HAD IT 15 YEARS THIS COMING SEASON 2006. LOAD A 100 GRAIN HOLLOW POINT THAT I WAS TOLD IT WOULD NOT WORK IN THIS GUN. CAN CUT HOLES AT 150 YDS. GOT TO LEY THE BARREL COOL BETWEEN SHOTS THOUGH. WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY IS IT HAS A 4X12X50 NcSTAR MY TC CONTENDER 7-30 WATERS I NOW DEER HUNT WITH HAS A 4X32 NcSTAR AND MY CONTENDER 223 HAS A 2X7X32 NcSTAR. I RELOAD AND TRY TO WORK UP ACCUARTE LOADS SO TO SAY THESE GUNS HAVE NOT BEEN SHOT MUCH WOULD BE A LIE. ALL SCOPES ARE MOUNTED WITH RAILS NO OVER/UNDERS VERY CLEAR AND TO ME ARE THE TIMEX'S OF THE SCOPE WORLD. IN OTHER WORDS FOR THE MONEY THEY CAN'T BE BEAT. IF THEY MESS UP YOU CAN BUY 3 OR 4 FOR THE PRICE OF OTHER ONES. WANT PROOF I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO E-MAIL YOU SOME PICS OF PAST HUNTS WITH A CHEAP GUN AND SCOPE. NOT TRYING TO BE SMART JUST TRUTHFUL AND I KNOW THERE ARE SOME OF YOU OUT THERE THAT THINKS THE WAY I DO. IF YOU USE IT IT WILL GET MARKED UP.
THANKS
BENNY :D [/i]
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR TROOPS THAT PROTECT HER <><

Offline 7.62X63

nc star scope
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »
I learned a valuble lesson early with my first centerfire rifle,REM model 7 in 308 WIN..I purchased an in-expensive scope to go on this rifle,a BUSHNELL 3-9x32.When I took this rifle to sight it in,the best groups were the size of a PIE PLATE!After changing many different loads(handloads,factory loads;150GR,165GR,180GR)someone suggested I swap scopes.So I took the 4x32 BUSHNELL from my 22LR and mounted
it on the rifle.INSTANT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This rifle will now group
1-1.5" at 100YRDS.Now when I buy scopes I will have to get an excellent
buy on any quality scope that doesnt have a GOLD RING around the bell!
I would rather skimp on the rifle and have quality optics.I know people who say otherwise,but family experience with LEUPOLD's warranty they
are hard to beat by anyone!You may pay more at first but you probably will never have any problems.I know some cheaper brands have a lifetime warranty,but how much did you save by having to re-zero serveral times and not to mention the time to,remove and install,ship,or
drive,and sight in?I like to do things once and then enjoy.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 01:18:04 AM »
I do own higher cost and economy prices rifle and pistol scopes.  My favorites are my LeupoldÂ’s.  I like them because they take the recoil from any of my big bore handguns.  41 Mag., 44 Mag., 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 444 Marlin, 480 Ruger & 45 Govt.  A few years back I bought two cheap scopes not economy (I think they were New Century) one for a 44 Mag. TCC barrel and the other for a SKS.  The 3rd round out of the 44 the scope sort of had a rattle in it to say it mildly and it was trash.  The one on the SKS was used to test some HP jacketed bullets I was making at the time.  I put around 100 rounds through it and it still works but I would not use it for hunting.

I also have Tasco, Simmons & Bushnell scopes and they work very well and I do trust them in the field.  One of my other favorites is a Simmons I have on my 9.3x62 CZ FS.  Economy yes Cheap no.  Let me say itÂ’s hard for me to pay more for the scope than what I paid for the gun.

ThereÂ’s nothing wrong with economy priced guns and scopes but then again thereÂ’s nothing wrong with top dollar guns and scopes.  A few weeks ago I was talking with my brother in law and he was thinking of purchasing a 1911 style pistol and said he would like a Kimber and a lot of guys he knew said they were too expensive.  My answer was yes they are pricey but they are also a good handgun.  The key is if you want it and can afford it buy it forget what your buddies think but also remember just because your buddies donÂ’t have one doesnÂ’t make you better.  

Benny your post “  IF THEY MESS UP YOU CAN BUY 3 OR 4 FOR THE PRICE OF OTHER ONES.  ThatÂ’s great but if youÂ’re on a hunting trip in the Rockies and it shakes loose.  LetÂ’s see where do I get a new scope?

Thanks,

Turk

Remember to pray for our troops.
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 01:20:22 AM »
I do own higher cost and economy prices rifle and pistol scopes.  My favorites are my LeupoldÂ’s.  I like them because they take the recoil from any of my big bore handguns.  41 Mag., 44 Mag., 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 444 Marlin, 480 Ruger & 45 Govt.  A few years back I bought two cheap scopes not economy (I think they were New Century) one for a 44 Mag. TCC barrel and the other for a SKS.  The 3rd round out of the 44 the scope sort of had a rattle in it to say it mildly and it was trash.  The one on the SKS was used to test some HP jacketed bullets I was making at the time.  I put around 100 rounds through it and it still works but I would not use it for hunting.

I also have Tasco, Simmons & Bushnell scopes and they work very well and I do trust them in the field.  One of my other favorites is a Simmons I have on my 9.3x62 CZ FS.  Economy yes Cheap no.  Let me say itÂ’s hard for me to pay more for the scope than what I paid for the gun.

ThereÂ’s nothing wrong with economy priced guns and scopes but then again thereÂ’s nothing wrong with top dollar guns and scopes.  A few weeks ago I was talking with my brother in law and he was thinking of purchasing a 1911 style pistol and said he would like a Kimber and a lot of guys he knew said they were too expensive.  My answer was yes they are pricey but they are also a good handgun.  The key is if you want it and can afford it buy it forget what your buddies think but also remember just because your buddies donÂ’t have one doesnÂ’t make you better.  

Benny your post “  IF THEY MESS UP YOU CAN BUY 3 OR 4 FOR THE PRICE OF OTHER ONES.  ThatÂ’s great but if youÂ’re on a hunting trip in the Rockies and it shakes loose.  LetÂ’s see where do I get a new scope?

Thanks,

Turk

Remember to pray for our troops.
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Racepres

• Contributor
nc star scope
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 02:00:14 PM »
never believe that cheap is bad ... nor that expensive is good either.. In the early 80's I bought a couple of scopes that I could about afford... not cheap , but not expensive. They were bushnell magnum phantom, LER, rail mount , handgun scopes. the two in 2.5 power are still on my contender barrels. one [a 1.5] has a reticle problem, but it has withstood some serious punishment from my experimental [45/70 and 375 win. bbls]. It lives in a scout mount on a .308 mauser right now.  I would buy them again. and yes I do also own a couple of leupold's and burris'. If I had a preference it would be burris for the optics in a long range handgun scope, and leupold for a varmint rifle. Bushnell for All else.  $0.02. for free.. MV    
BTW Your mileage may vary!!!

Offline A MOOSE 4 GOD

nc star scope
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
OK GUYS I MAY NOT HAVE THE BEST FORM OF WORDS WHEN IT COMES TO TRYING TO EXPLAIN THINGS BUT THE YEARS ON MY 7MM REM MAG WITH A 159 GRAIN ROUND NOSE AND 63 GR OF 4831 PUTS OUT A PRETTY GOOD PUNCH AND I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THE SCOPE. ALSO NICE MULEY FROM OUT WEST GUIDE SAID 390 YDS HELD TO TOP OF BACK  HE DROPPED. ALL SCOPES CAN GO OUT IS WHAT I MEANT. AND I AM TRULY SORRY FOR WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE 2 OR THREE SCOPE THING. I HAVE HAD ALL KINDS OF SCOPES AND GUNS AND I HUNT THEM HARD,FALLIG DOWN, GUN RACK ON 4 WHEELER BREAKS, YOU KNOW. BOTTOM LINE I CAN'T KEEP A PRETTY GUN PRETTY VERY LONG. SO AGAIN I AM SORRY. THE SCOPES WORK FOR ME AS WELL AS ANY I,VE OWNED. I ALSO WAS TOLD THAT I COULD NOT LOAD A 100 GR HOLLOW POINT FOR THE MAG AND BEING AS HARD HEADED AS I AM AND 100 LOADS LATER I HAVE A LOAD THAT WILL CUT HOLES AT 150YDS. BARREL HAS GOT TO BE COOL BETWEEN SHOTS THOUGH.AGAIN I DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE.
THANK YOU ALL AND MAY GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!
BENNY
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR TROOPS THAT PROTECT HER <><

Offline Outa-Africa

NcStar
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 03:58:25 AM »
I bought a NcStar spotting scope 15-40 by 50.On the internet it looked like a cheeky little halfjack.The guys pack it to my request in another box wraped whith bubblewrap because it was heading for Africa.After I removed the bubblewrap and retrieved it from the pouch I heard something loose inside the scope.After unscrewing the eyepiece I saw the lense at the back of the eyepiece was drifting around on the inside.On the inside of the front lens there was something like a blotch of greese and some small black object.Tapping it lightly on the body whith my hand a small  black screw drop out at the rear of the scope body.

It cost me more on postage to get it airmailed so I decided to drop NcStar
a line and ask for some advise.To send it back would cost me another scope and to recieve it back still another.After three e-mails and no response I decided there is nothing to be lost so I started to dissasemble the scope.Everything is plastic except for some screws.The bracket that holds the lense(the one that was loose)well the threads were stripped so it could not hold the lens.I make some modification and cleaned up the front lens.It could have been a great little scope but they blew it on the eyepiece.By the way for plastic lenses it's doing quite good.

I suppose weather it is a rifle scope or a spotting scope it does not matter
when you look at craftmanship stay far away from NcStar.

Pay peanuts and get peanuts. :)

Take care.
Abe

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 01:41:11 PM »
you get what you pay for..
my bud put a simmons 3X9X40 scope on his marlin 45/70 10 rd's and it was shot and the reticle gone. :shock:he now has a leopold 2X7 compact.
I used a BSA contender scope on my 308 it also gave up the ghost on me.I now use a ziess 8X56
with a scope buy the best you can afford..

Offline JD HHI 6092®

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 04:52:25 AM »
I've never owned a NC Star but do own Burris, Simmons, Weaver and Leupold.  Only one that has given me problems is the Burris.  It was trashed on my 309 JDJ barre.  I've had the "cheap" Simmons scope on my 45-70, 375 JDJ, and 454 with no problems.  
More expensive doesn't always mean better.
The only thing you should feel when shooting insurgents is recoil.

Offline flyfisher

• Avid Poster
nc star scope
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 06:04:59 AM »
To me, what you pay for is what you get.  Sure, higher priced optics may hold out better than cheap optics, but the reverse may be true as well.  Generally speaking, I feel that the chances for a scope "holding up" on a gun are better if the scope is a more expensive scope.  Higher priced optics are most often bulit with tighter tolerances, which means, to me, better repeatability (especially on variable powers), better accuracy, and greater clarity.  Higher-end scopes often carry a better warranty than lower-end scopes, which is certainly a big deal to me.  Yes, I use guns hard, and yes, I do hold my optics to a high standard.  If one is going to go haywire, it will probably happen for me, and a good warranty is a very important factor for me.  That still doesn't mean that a cheaper scope doesn't have those same qualities.  In short, I don't have anything against cheaper scopes.  I own many of them and have few complaints, but I own many of the expensive scopes and have even fewer complaints...especially when I drop them out of trees and the manufacturer asks no questions as to how and why they were damaged, they just replace them (sometimes they don't even break).  All-in-all, I buy the best scopes that I can afford.  Just my .02
How'd you like a peek at my 14-incher? (Contender, that is)