Author Topic: New .308 Ultra  (Read 415 times)

Offline bdestafeno

• Trade Count: (0)
New .308 Ultra
« on: April 21, 2006, 03:21:30 AM »
Hi,

I am a new member, have been shooting many years..Just brought a new .308 Ultr and having issues.  

I have about 100 rnds through it.  Jb barrel and it started shooting well with Win factory ammo as well as handloads with 41 gr. TAC and 155 gr MK.

two problems almost every round fails to eject factory and handloads.

the scope mount holes must be way off we cannot get two different scopes to center with windage cranked all the way to left.  (3X9) & (6X)

We polished the chamber with 400 & 600 grit and can see no scratches or marks on the brass.  Rounds are full length sized chamber easily..just fail to extract.  just the slightest tap with a cleaning rod and they eject.

suggestions???

bdstafeno :cry:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
New .308 Ultra
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
Welcome to GBO!!  :wink:

I'd call H&R and ask for it to be fixed, scope base mount holes are either drilled off center or the bore is off center, either one will require them to intervene. I suppose you could have a bad scope base, too. They can polish the bore while it's there. Their toll free number is in the FAQ and Help sticky.

An alternative would be to use Burris Signature Zee rings with the optional offset inserts and do the bore polishing yourself, see Chamber Polishing in the FAQ and Help sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bdestafeno

• Trade Count: (0)
.308 + new .223
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »
well shot the .308 more this w/e shoots really well around 3/4" with 150 gr. BT and varget.  Polished the chamber no rnds sticking.....but the holes for the scope are definatley way of as we cant get two scopes to zero...WAY to the left.  You can actually see it when you look at the rifle from the top!  I was going to send it back to the factory but since it is shooting so well I just ordered a set of Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts we will se if that brings it in.  I had also polished the barrel first with flitz and then JB. It has become really smooth and Buthches Bore shine cleans it easily and no trace of copper.

I just also bought a .223 with the choate stock.  Havent shot it yet but it is a pretty neat looking weapon.  Will polish the chamber and bore as well.  the trigger on the .223 seems heavier than the .308.

Lefty