Author Topic: Steel vs. aluminum mounts and rings  (Read 593 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Steel vs. aluminum mounts and rings
« on: March 24, 2006, 08:45:28 AM »
I recently checked out the Grand Slam rings and bases and was surprised how heavy they are. I've used aluminum Weaver style bases and quick detachable rings for many years ( but not on anything more powerful than the 7 Rem. Mag) with no problems. Isn't the weak link in any mounting system the screws? When and where do aluminum mounts fail?

Offline Zachary

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:06:07 AM »
I have owned and used MANY brands of scope mounts and, whether aluminum or steel, I have never had scope mounts THEMSELVES fail on me.  The important thing to consider is having a PROPER SETUP.  Make sure that you always use BLUE loctite.  This will ensure that the screws will not come loose during shooting.  Then, make sure that you do not tighten the screws too tight.  I once saw someone tighten a srew so tight that it broke while he was tightening it.  Good luck sending it to a gunsmith to remove a broken screw inside the receiver. :cry:

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 01:52:29 PM »
Gee Zach, I use RED loctite.   :shock:  High Brass knows  to use heat to break the base screws loose when he inherits my firearms .  :wink:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:16:27 AM »
Not sure what they used, but on my Swede Mauser sporter when I went to take off the standard Weaver bases in favor of Grand Slams, I was very, very afraid I was going to twist the screw apart.  The thing wouldn't budge, and I ended up chewing up half the screw head before getting it to turn.  I've never been happier to throw a screw away :).

As to the original question, I've never had a real problem with aluminum mounts, bout on all but one of my rifles I've gone for steel (especially for anything that overhangs like an extension base).  It might be a bit overkill, but I just trust the steel sitting up there a bit more.  Then again, with the steel you do have to worry about rust, but there's always tradeoffs.