Author Topic: Bad News For Custom Builders  (Read 1290 times)

Offline macbullet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Bad News For Custom Builders
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:15:29 AM »

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:51:12 AM »
Then I'm busted. Doing a trigger job is pretty substantive.
Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:52:13 AM »
I'm busted again. I put a red dot scope on a pistol after removing the factory sights.
Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:53:16 AM »
Oh no! Busted again for replacing the top end of a 1911 with a conversion unit for .22 caliber.
Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 02:54:54 AM »
Oh no! Now I'm really busted! I've refinished a gun to a matte black, which, as even the most casual observer can plainly see, is an obvious attempt at making the gun more sinister and concealable.
Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 02:58:47 AM »
Oh Mother McCree! Now they're dusting off the electric chair to put me to death! I replaced the fire control parts in a handgun with aftermarket parts! Oh! What's that pounding at the door!

... Bottom line is that if the BATF wants, and you know they want, to bust people, then they'll contrive anything, however preposterous, to do it.
Safety first

Offline oso45-70

Handgn General Discussion
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »
Back to the Black Booted thug days

When is it ever going to stop. The Jhad of the US GUBMENT
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 04:34:13 AM »
I sure hope this is some kind of mistake!  If it's not I am just sick by it!  

Based on my experiances.  It sounds to me like some little egg head (make that big egg head probably a new hire right out of college some where), was trying to impress his enforcement minded boss and he thought of a way that no else has ever thought of.  They will probably promote the clown for all his grand thinking!

I wish just once some of these guys would think of what they are doing instead of trying to get ahead.  I hope he can sleep nights knowing he is messing with folks trying to make a living!  I just got a new Bowen the other day and it's the best revolver I have ever own'd!

I will wait to find out some more information on this and then I will start writing letters.  This is election year for a few folks! I would think that with all the troubles the current group of genius in D.C. have (read both parties) they would not like to add another 6 million or more gun owners to the list.

JUST MAKES ME SICK! :cry:

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:35:49 PM »
Why is the BATF continuously harassing peaceful, law abiding citizens?
I think their efforts (and our tax dollars) would be better spent if they were deployed to "da hood" to confiscate ILLEGAL firearms from the CRIMINAL element....
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »
OK, the BATF is primarily manned by a.h. types, what's new?
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Questor

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 03:36:12 AM »
First law of clear communication: Use acronyms if you want nobody to understand you.
Safety first

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 01:17:12 PM »
Ok, so if I'm reading this right, people like numrich supply are breaking the law by aiding and abbeding people by providing the parts for the firearm.  A bunch of BS, I think, at least there are courts to fight stuff like this.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
I'd like to see this from another source before i get all up in arms over it.

Offline oso45-70

Handgn General Discussion
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
jerkface11

Did you read the hyper link from Macbullets post, Seems pretty clear to me. What!! would the BATF really do something like this Ha Ha.
 :D .....Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »
The Blog is a bunch of crap. BATF has always had a policy requiring a manufacturer's permit to make gun parts that are serial numbered.  If you look at your gun, the only part that is "controlled" is the part with the serial number stamped on it. That part requires a FFL to purchase or ship, or a Mfg Permit to make it. There are a few exceptions. Many guns such as a Glock or SIG have the serial number stamped on the frame, barrel and slide. Tehnically, all these parts are controlled where the gun has to be shipped back to the manufacturer for replacements.

Some gunsmiths got in trouble by machining a new receiver or frame (serial numbered part) to build or modify an existing gun. Anytime you change the original serial numbered part, you must request a new serial number from BATF or have a manufacturing permit and assign a new S/N. These laws are very clearly outlined in BATF's on-line regulations.

Serial number markings must stay consistant with the original manufacturer's markings. Example: Lets say a gunsmith made a new receiver for a Ruger MK II. Because the S/N is stamped on the barrel assembly, which includes the receiver and not the frame, a new S/N must be issued by BATF. If you serial numbered the frame or didn't get a new S/N, you would be in violation of BATF laws. Therse are all common sense things.
GLB

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
can I turn this around
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 05:22:39 AM »
The BATF is not a bunch of thugs. It consists of American citizens doing a job they are employed to do. I doubt any of them upon taking the job thought the idea was to disarm the citizens of the United States.

They are however employed and in the budget cutting times we are facing are looking for anything they can do to keep their colective jobs. We can argue all day about where the money should be spent. In the end, it all comes down to money. How to keep it coming to your department. It is not the man in the shirt making these decisions it is management. Tell your federal Representatives you don't appreciate this kind of action. write a letter send an e-mail, just let them know.

When your boss tells you this is what you must do, you do it or else.

longwalker

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 04:09:33 PM »
if you want a real eye opener look at american rifleman magazines from the 1930's.
same fears, same complaints.
we just have to be ever vigilant about the real issues.
what scares me more than these things is the impression that the non-shooting public is getting from the "free press".
public opinion from misinformed (intentionally or not) journalism will cause more damage to the shooting sports than any laws ever will.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline mk454

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »
uh, longwalker, yes some are certainly thugs.  been this way for a long long time, and no matter the law, one can be thug operating with in the law and operating under the umbrella of the law.  just cuz you are doing so, or b/c your boss tells you to, doesn't mean you're not a thug.  the nazi's did nothing their bosses didn't ask, and did nothing that was against their laws.

after ruby ridge and waco, how could you possibly post that?
a gun owner that votes dem is an oxymoron with the emphasis on moron.

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 11:14:18 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww come on guys.
Quit bashing the BATF!
Next thing you know you right wing gun owners will be saying the BATF would make an ill planned, ill concieved raid on a bunch of Christian extremists in Texas, get thier arses shot off, surrender, then have the government step in and kill every man, woman and child in the place.
Or assault some separatists living in the mountains at a place called Ruby Ridge, murder some guys innocent young son, shoot the guys wife for holding an infant, even execute the guys dog then throw the guy in the slammer with trumped up charges!
Hey, then pay the guy 3 million bucks for murdering his family too boot. What a deal! Legal murder does exist huh?
Naw........
That crap can't happen!
Come on now.
This is America.
Our law enforcement and government wouldn't do anything like that!
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »
Quote from: jeager106
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww come on guys.
Quit bashing the BATF!
Next thing you know you right wing gun owners will be saying the BATF would make an ill planned, ill concieved raid on a bunch of Christian extremists in Texas, get thier arses shot off, surrender, then have the government step in and kill every man, woman and child in the place.
Or assault some separatists living in the mountains at a place called Ruby Ridge, murder some guys innocent young son, shoot the guys wife for holding an infant, even execute the guys dog then throw the guy in the slammer with trumped up charges!
Hey, then pay the guy 3 million bucks in compensation money and let the guys that  murdered his family off the hook to boot!
What a deal! Legal murder does exist huh?
Naw........
That crap can't happen!
Come on now.
This is America.
Our law enforcement and government wouldn't do anything like that!
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D