Author Topic: blue barrel on a stainless frame  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Smokin54

• Trade Count: (0)
blue barrel on a stainless frame
« on: December 10, 2002, 01:38:10 PM »
Is there any problem created by using blue barrels on a stainless frame ?I know that it can be a bad idea to to mix metals in some cases but have never heard there is in this case.

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Blue/Stainless
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 01:42:31 PM »
I have them in both blue and stainless - if there is a problem, I have not been able to find it.......things work fine.

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 04:44:52 PM »
Stainless steels are bad about galling when they make moving contact. This happens on the microscopic peaks of a machined finish. It is a really bad problem with surgical instruments. A stainless steel named Nitronic 60 is used to specifically to avoid this problem.  The only problem you might have is using an unlubricated stainless hinge pin that is a tight fit in both barrel and receiver. The stainless hinge pin would be a bad design idea. I have never handled a stainless Encore or Contender but I doubt TC uses stainless for the pin.

Ed

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 06:59:48 PM »
Actually most of the gaulling that occures is between stainless on stainless. I'm not trying to say that stainless and reguler steel cant gaull if put together, just that its a lot more compatable if you have dis-similar materials. As for the compatability of stainless barrel/blue frame or vice versa, you can mix them up any way you like. I use them in both configurations. Just my $.02  Kn