Author Topic: Infrared Thermometer  (Read 538 times)

Offline Jim 44-40

• Trade Count: (0)
Infrared Thermometer
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:03:21 AM »
Picked up a Hand held thermometer at Sears that works from -58 up to 1000 degrees F.  Holding it 12in away from lead pot gave me a reading of 650 degrees. Anyone out there try one yet?

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
Infrared Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 08:34:19 AM »
The accuracy of these tools depends on the reflectivity of the surface on which you take the measurement.  Best accuracy is found if you use a flat black surface - shiney surfaces like the melt itself will degrade the instrument's accuracy.

Offline Dusty Miller

Infrared Thermometer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 05:21:04 PM »
With my bottom pour pot I like the thermometer to be reading the heat down in the pot.  I can see where the IR item might have some really good uses but not for measuring molten metals.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Infrared Thermometer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 06:08:30 AM »
jim, I used one of these when I worked in the steel mill. They would check the bearing temp's with one. I "borrrowed" one for the weekend and tried it on lead that I was casting into 45-70 slugs. My thermometer and the IR one did NOT agree on the temperature of the melt.50 degrees difference or so,if I remember right.. I took my thermometer to the instrument techs for calibration and was told it was spot on! I could get different readings on bearings by varying the distance to the bearing or "reading" the shiny shaft as it came from the bearing.