Author Topic: Dan Wesson or Taurus 66 in .357?  (Read 561 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dan Wesson or Taurus 66 in .357?
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:24:31 AM »
An older (used) Dan Wesson stainless steel .357 with a 6" barrel is for sale for about $290 and the same dealer has a blued Taurus 66 .357 for around $375. Not sure of Tuarus due to reputation. Don't like buying used guns but the Wesson is pretty clean. Any thoughts?

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 10:23:07 AM »
Given the choices, my money would go for the Dan Wesson. I don't care for the 6" barrel, but you might find some aftermarket barrels and shrouds to change it out to your prefered length if you shop around a bit! The old DWs were well built, and should be quite durable.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »
I'd carefully examine the Dan Wesson for condition. If it looked good, I'd buy it without a second thought. Taurus' quality has been spotty over the years.

One thing to beware of with Dan Wessons is that some have been used a lot for silhouette shooting with heavy loads and show some wear from heavy use. With a 6" barrel, the one you are considering is not likely to be such a gun.

On the other hand, if you have your heart set on a particular barrel length and configuration, you'll probably be happier in the long run buying what you want.
Safety first

Offline JimG

• Contributor
More questions.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 11:18:11 AM »
Not really a revolver man, so how do I check the Dan Wesson out to be sure that it's not wore out for the lack of a better term? How can I tell if it's "loose" from strong handloads or just lot's of use?