Author Topic: More power in a Survivor  (Read 835 times)

Offline rk3006

• Trade Count: (0)
More power in a Survivor
« on: May 01, 2006, 01:31:40 PM »
I have a Survivor in 308 coming in Thursday and I was wondering if I sent my Survivor frame in ( SB2 ) to have a 45 colt / 410 BBl. put on would it be possible to have it drilled and threaded for a front sight and have same instaled then. I was also thinking of putting a B.C. peep sight on the 45 colt / 410,  S 8) ince this is a SB2 frame would it be possible to shoot 454 Casull in this BBl. loaded down some. This would make a great Survivor gun, plenty of power and shotshells too. I have powerfull handguns to carry but this concept is interesting, more accurate at longer range. Do you think this is possible?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
More power in a Survivor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 02:22:42 PM »
The only way to know for sure about drilling and tapping is to ask em by email or phone call, email and toll free number is in the FAQ and Help sticky. H&R's FAQ says they won't drill and tap their shotgun barrels for a scope rail, tho. FWIW, someone here had his 45/410 barrel drilled and tapped by his gunsmith, so it can be done, but by H&R, I dunno.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
More power in a Survivor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »
As far as the 454 casull, that subject has come up before..

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=77669&highlight=454+casull
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rk3006

More power in a survivor rifle
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:32:50 PM »
Sorry about this post, I didn't realise this subject had come up many times before. I thought I had a great idea, but many before me were first. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Offline FirstFreedom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
More power in a Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
I have the survivor in .45 colt / .410 shot, and I too think it would be very neat to have a BC-style rear peep (instead of NONE like it comes stock), but then you WOULD definitely have to drill & tap for a front sight, since the stock bead is going to be too low, I should think.  As for .454 casull in a Handi, no I wouldn't do it.  A "medium-powered" or so-called +P .45 colt, in the full-house .44 mag power range, yes I would do that, but not full-house 60K psi .454s.  I'm really on a .45 colt/.454 casull/.410 shotshell "kick" right now, though, having purchased these two in the last 6 months or so:

1.  Rossi/LSI Puma in .454 casull / .45 colt
2.  NEF Survivor in .45 colt / .410 shot

and on order right now is this one:

3.  http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=4410TrackerSS&category=Revolver

Which should go nicely with my survivor.  :)

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
More power in a Survivor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:16:58 PM »
This subject of putting adjustable sights on the shotgun barrels comes up from time to time. One of the answers to these questions, which will work, is the mounting of a receiver sight to the action and silver soldering on an appropiate front sight. No drilling of the shotgun barrel is involved.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
More power in a Survivor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »
If the gun can handle it, a hot loaded .45Colt is a serious little bullet!  Shooting Ruger pressure loads in a rifle would be able to kill ANYTHING, but ya wanna shoot hard cast, wide meplat bullets.
  Let me know how accurate that .45Colt barrel is.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein