Author Topic: help!!!  (Read 684 times)

Offline CaptTHighbiter

• Trade Count: (0)
help!!!
« on: May 02, 2006, 09:18:46 AM »
help i imported a black powder muzzle loader from England and customs will not realease it. The want to see documented proof it has been de-milled,  and is not a fireable fire arm. I tried to tell them this is not a "fire arm" as defined by ATF, but I cant find the dam regulations that state so.

Any one know the link to the ATF regs on this??

thanks !
"Cannon bring class to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl"
http://thebrigands.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »
Here's the link to the FAQ section that includes the BATF link to their regulations.  http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16901
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
help!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
Copy  and paste this:

To Inspectors of the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection,

The enclosed firearm/part was manufactured in or prior to 1898 and meets the definition of an antique firearm under Title 18 Chapter 44 section 921 (a) (16) of the Gun Control Act of 1968. For the purposes of importation under Part 47, this firearm is defined as “not a firearm” in Subpart B section 47.11.   Part 178 Subpart G 178.115 makes the importation of this firearm an exempt importation. No import license is required.

This firearm is being imported for personal use and is not for resale. This firearm is exempt from duties as an Antique under HTS 9706.0000.60.

Offline CaptTHighbiter

help!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:03:40 PM »
thanks guys, that did the trick... I love this site! THis agent was being a dick in the first place. I explained allthis to him when I got there at 9 in the morning.  I showed him the regs on the ATF site, but he wanted it on ATF letter head.  Thank God I got some one at ATF to listen to me and send the dam note ( at 4:00PM, after I had cooled my heels at Customs for 7 hours)

It is a beautiful  , cast and polished bronze tube,  30" long and 1.650 bore - now I have to figure out a way to get the lead (i hope) ball jammed in there out. Any ideas?

We have already named it, THe Bishop of Wolverhampton

Thanks again!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
help!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 06:13:55 AM »
Actually the Customs Officer did exactlly the right thing.  He didn't know what the regualtions are and got the Experts to tell him what is the right thing to do.  He could have been a self appointed expert,  seized your cannon only to have them release it months later, without even a sorry, but please pay this storage bill.  You would have then fought for another 6 or 8 months and they would have waived the storage fees  and then you would get your cannon.

No the Customs Officer did the right thing.  Keep in mind in the U.S.,  Customs Enforces over 500 different laws for 50 different agencies. There is no way a Customs Officer can be an expert on all of them.  And no Customs Officer wants to be the one who let's the next terrorist or a weapon of mass destruction in the country.

Kissing the Gunners Daughter would be a mild punishment.

Offline CaptTHighbiter

help!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:28:06 AM »
Hey I def understand that point. But, after the agent had spoken to the man in charge of the division at ATF and he told the agent that the gun was exempt, he still would not release it without something in writing.

the guy was being a dick, basically because I knew the regs better then he did and he was supposed to be the "expert" there.  Hell he told me he collected black powder guns and he was saying I needed a import license and had to fill out AFT form 6 part 1 and show the barrel was de-militarized.  

Alls well tho, The Bishop is now safely ensconced in my basement.