Author Topic: Ruger Bearcat  (Read 600 times)

Offline Remfarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger Bearcat
« on: May 03, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
Anybody have any ecperience with the Ruger Bearcat? How accurate? Would it be a good pistol my wife could carry at our farm? She doesn't want to carry a heavy revolver but we do have some stray dogs that have had to be dispatched from time to time and I would feel better if she had one at times while I am busy in another area away from her. Perhaps a Vaquero in .32?

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Ruger Bearcat
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:41:34 PM »
I would opt for the .32 mag.  It is small enough for recoil not to be an issue and more effective at stopping than a .22LR.

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
Happy Bearcat Owner
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:07:52 AM »
I love my bearcat it is a stainless new model.  Shoots as well as i can hold and aim it.  Never shot it to paper though.  The thing i really like about the bearcat is the frame size seems to fit the scale of the cartridge much better than say a single six. I say go 22.  The 32 is great and i have wanted one for a long time but it is larger, heavier, and more expensive to shoot.  Have you  looked at the prices of 32 ammo? Can you even find any?  Its rather expensive and hard to find.

-TC-
-TC-

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger Bearcat
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:19:18 AM »
They are accurate enough but could be a lot better with some trigger work. The small size of the gun and weight of the trigger leave it very succeptible to movement when the trigger is pulled.  A birdshead 4 5/8" single six might be just the ticket in either .22 or .32 . Compact and lightweight.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Ruger Bearcat
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
I understood the context of the question to deal with stopping feral dogs.  I don't believe in scrimping on a life insurance policy such as a defensive weapon.  I still say a .32 mag is a better stopper than a .22lr on dogs intending to do harm.  Besides, I load then by the hundred, it's not a problem.

Offline Dave Shooter

32 ammo
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »
Georgia arms company has 32 h&r mag ammo. Also saw it in Cabelas Shooting 06 cat. I also saw it in sportsmans guide . Not to mention cheaper than dirt. Lots of places have 32 mag ammo.
 I have a bearcat as well that has killed its fair share of critters. I load mine up with 22 shorts to do the deed. Hunter holster co has a holster for the bearcat it is 1100-46. Oh mine is blue steel. Great little gun.
Dave Shooter