Author Topic: WHHY CANT I STAY LOGGED IN  (Read 1346 times)

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
WHHY CANT I STAY LOGGED IN
« on: February 06, 2006, 03:23:04 PM »
WHY CANT I STAY LOGGED IN ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 11:32:11 AM »
I don't know.  :oops:

Are you an AOL user? If so that's why. See note to AOL users in help section.

Are you taking over 20 minutes to type in your post? If so, that's why.

Or are you asking why you must log in each time you visit the site but can stay logged in after that?

A little more info please.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:07:09 PM »
Once a day or so, I try to reach the site, and it times out, then when I do get here, I need to log in again. I've tried the usual tricks of clearing my cache, but it doesn't seem to matter, sometimes I just can't reach the site. It seems kinda odd cuz, a minute or 2 after I do get here, everything works fine. Sometimes I get a light blue page that say Critical Error phpBB yada...something or another. It seems like the site works great or not at all sometimes with varying degrees in between. I don't think it's due to internet traffic, while I'm waiting for GBO to open, I'll open other windows and visit other sites with no problems.

Dunno if this helps, hopefully Matt can get a handle on it soon, it seems to me that a lot of members here may not visit here as often due to slow access at times.

This may or may not be related to the access problem, but I've tried to edit the NEF FAQ a dozen times today without success, it times out, Page cannot be Displayed.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
About every third time I visit the site I have to loog on manually; the rest of the time it is automatic as usual.  Sometimes after I post I get a timeout message, but I can "go back" and refresh the thread page and see my post, so it worked.  I am not AOL and have been using the site for years with no trouble.  I assumed it was related to all the trouble over the past few months.  Now I see the MarlinOwners site is having touble.....

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 05:21:23 PM »
YEAP  AOL

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »
Then ya can't use the AOL Browser. Once you get online however you do that you must minimize the AOL Browser and open up an IE browser. From that point on you should have no problems.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 03:17:15 AM »
...I am not AOL and have been using the site for years with no trouble......
I have used IE exclusively on this site for years and have the same issue on two different computers with different OS - one XP Home Edition, one XP Proressional.  It does not happen every time, just about every third time and it started last month.....oh well, I'll live with it.   :cry:

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 04:05:31 AM »
I'm on a Mac using Safari and have the same problems. Trying to edit a post is a real challenge sometimes. Gritting my teeth and getting by anyway because I know it'll get better.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 04:14:15 AM »
I have used IE exclusively on this site for years and have the same issue on two different computers with different OS - one XP Home Edition, one XP Proressional. It does not happen every time, just about every third time and it started last month.....oh well, I'll live with it.

Sessions last a maximum of 20 minutes. If you take longer in typing in your message then you will have been logged out when you try to post. Might this be part of your problem? I've been logged out a VERY few times when I took less than 20 minutes to post but not even once a month on average. Other than the AOL broswer problem and taking over 20 minutes I really know no other reason it should log you out. Now while we've been having the problems some times it just bows up its back and refuses to do anything and if that lasts over 20 minutes again you'll be logged out.

I'm on a Mac using Safari and have the same problems. Trying to edit a post is a real challenge sometimes. Gritting my teeth and getting by anyway because I know it'll get better.

Matt worked on it again a couple days ago and since then I've had no problem editing. Before that it was nearly impossible to edit on the Classifieds but after he did whatever he did I got thru an edit I'd been trying to make for over a week on one of my threads. Is the problem still happening now?

Matt is still stumped on this current problem. When he works on the site it seems to work fine again for awhile but eventually it seems to creep back to having problems. We're just about to decide the actual server is the problem but our host disagrees. We've completely replaced the software with a new version and removed all non related matter from the database. There is just no logical reason for what's happening..

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 04:49:00 AM »
I tried to edit a classified this morning and couldn't - three times. Don't you just love computers?
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:28:35 AM »
I tried to edit a classified this morning and couldn't - three times. Don't you just love computers?

No actually I kinda HATE them.  :eek:  Often I wish Matt had never talked me into buying my first one.

The site is working about as bad today as it was good yesterday. It is so frustrating to me that Matt can't find and fix whatever is going on. It will work good a day or three after he works on it and then it's right back like it was again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 09:57:10 AM »
GB, the problems just started for me last month, prior to that no problems due to long editing/posting, etc. for years.   But don't worry about it, it is a minor inconvenience and the value of the site is so great that it really doesn't matter.  I brought it up only because others were having the same issues and thought it might help... :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 10:44:08 AM »
Matt's latest thoughts on this is that maybe we need to upgrade the database to the latest version. He says we are 3-4 versions behind. I'm not sure if that's gonna cost me money or if it's free but it means Matt must work with our host to make it happen. We're hoping it will fix things when he does.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125