Author Topic: Are gas checks a MUST for using H-110?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Are gas checks a MUST for using H-110?
« on: April 07, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »
Talked to Hodgdon customer service today...  During our conversation, their expert strongly suggested using gas checks when using H110 due to the hot, prolonged burn of a slow powder such as this.  This kind of suprised me since many manufacturers claim their bullets are capable of high speed without too much leading due to their hardness.  Oh ya, I am only looking at around 1100fps out of a Ruger .45Colt.

Your input???

Thanks,

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 02:48:02 PM »
I would test the loads for yourself.

Start with the minimum load, increase by - say - 1/2 gr - shoot a 6 round group with each load and work up.  Note the place where accuracy suffers and/or leading occurs.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:19:15 PM »
the guys at hogdgon know their bananas.  follow his advise.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »
I use H-110 and the Lyman 358429 bullet.  It is not a gas check design.  I am shooting it at 1217 fps and leading is minimal.  Yea, I do get some leading at the forcing cones, but I can shoot a box (50) rounds before some cleaning is required.  I like it because of the velocity as well as the accuracy.  A gas checked bullet might be better, but I shoot that Keith style bullet with several different powders and I just plain like that bullet...BCB

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 04:32:13 PM »
I have several loads using 296 and plain base cast.   No probs.
(296 is same same as H110.)

Steve   :D
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline 454PB

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 07:32:30 AM »
Proper sizing and lubrication is required to push boolits over 1000 fps without leading and accuracy problems. Have you slugged the bore and measured the throats on your Ruger? Assuming the size is correct, you should have no leading problems using H-110 and a plain based cast boolit.

However, H-110 and WW 296 are not supposed to be reduced from maximum over 5%. Be sure you are using a Hodgdon recommended load. I had a bad experience with H-110 many years ago resulting in a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 11:36:01 AM »
ive shot many a kegs of 110 in 500 linebaughs 475s 45s 44s 41s and just about everything else without gas checks. Now i feel bad because all those one inch groups must have been a dream :-D
blue lives matter

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:48:22 AM »
I have found, in my shooting tests, that proper lubing will ALMOST always cure leading.  I am sure that there are times when you just shoot a bullet too fast for its construction or alloy but I have not hit those limits.

My wife bought me a 10" 357 max barrel with 500 Laser Cast 180 gr bullets for Christmas one year.  I loaded up a few with 21 gr of 296 and shot them over my chrony.  They got 1875 fps and lots of lead in the barrel.  After I cleaned out the lead I decided to try a few which I added some Lee Liquid Alox to.  I even left the original lube on them.  The Velocity went up to almost 1900 fps and there was no leading.  I never did get those laser cast to be accurate though.

For plinking, I may shoot a gas check bullet without the check, but for competition, I always put a check on, if it is a gas checked bullet.  I shoot a very soft alloy and use a good lube and never have leading problems.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 06:01:06 AM »

NO
Joshua 1:9

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 04:11:01 AM »
I like the previous post.  The short answer is NO, gas checks are not a must.

Hodgdon strongly recommends them because checks do a good job at preventing leading.  If a customer is not having leading problems, they are less apt to speak badly about Hodgdon powders.

So you can skip the gc's and play around a bit until you get a satisfactory load.  Or you can use the gc's and your odds of finding satisfactory loads may be better.  Or so I understand, I've never used a gc in my life.

I've been shooting Lil' Gun and cast bullets for years.  13 grains works perfect for my 158 grain and 200 grain cast bullets (both .357 magnum).  I get some leading with the 158 grainer but never enough to feel like I have to clean it.  Both bullets exceed the 1100 fps from my 6.5" Ruger, and exceed 1500 fps from my M92 24" bbl levergun.

In fact, with both the above bullets, I actually soften the bullets by annealing them (they're 100% wheel-weight) to reduce the leading.  

The 158 grain load is not a full-house magnum load, however the 200 grain load is.  The pressures of the 200 grain load are probably up there, but the long bearing surface and slow speed of the bullet help mitigate the high pressures.  In fact, if you want to get full power from a plain cast bullet, I generally recommend going with heavy-for-caliber bullets for this reason.  You can get the full ft-lbs but at a reduced velocity.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!