Author Topic: ? for the y'all...  (Read 618 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
? for the y'all...
« on: March 31, 2003, 02:25:43 PM »
i have some cast bullets that measure .428 diameter.   can i use these safely in a 44 mag?  or aint it worth screwing with?

Offline A62Rambler

• Trade Count: (0)
? for the y'all...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 02:41:50 PM »
You can use them safely. You may not get very good accuracy because they will be a little undersize. If you try to drive them very fast you may get a lot of leading because the gases may slip past the base. Then again they may obturate enough to shoot accrurately and have little leading. Try them and see how they work.
If I was a horse, they'd have shot me!

Rob

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
? for the y'all...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 01:08:36 AM »
they will work and if there cast soft they may even surprise you as to how good they shoot.
blue lives matter

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
? for the y'all...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 01:27:03 PM »
thanks guys.  they are bullets given to me by my father and  i think they were bought in the mid 70's by him for his 44-40.   the bullets look brand new.  thought they might be good for cheap shooting.

Offline Paul H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
? for the y'all...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 01:32:47 PM »
As the others said, they will certainly be safe, but likely won't produce much in the way of accuracy, unless they are soft enough and pushed with enough pressure to obturate, or bump up to bore dia.  If leading is a problem, you can tumble lube them with Lee tumble lube.  If various load tests don't result in satisfactory results, melt em down and cast them into something you like  :D

Bullet casters are the best recyclers.