Author Topic: encore 454  (Read 790 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
encore 454
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:26:43 AM »
I just won an encore 12 inch 454 barrel off e-bite and it it shold be here in about 7 days.
I know little about this round but have a few more questios.
what is the recoil and muzzle balast like out of the 12" barrels? (Not that it makes much diffrance I already shoot a 15 inch 45-70 wth no break)

I have a set of RCBS steel reloadign dies for the 45 colt can I get a way with useing them?

I want to use my 300 gr cast  gas checked bullets out of it for range work and deer hunting. you guys have any good loads for it, or should I just stay with jacketed bullets

what primers do you guys use?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
encore 454
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 07:17:19 AM »
I had a 454 Casull encore barrel. The recoil in my opinion is a little more sharp than the 45-70. I could not get 45 L/C dies to reload the 454 Casull rounds. I bought 454 Casull dies for it.

As far a 300 gr. gas check bullets, for deer the 240 gr. Hornady XTP's work great. I use the 300 gr. hard cast bullets with gas checks for bear or hogs. If you want some load data e-mail me and I will give you what you want.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: encore 454
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
Quote from: rickyp
I just won an encore 12 inch 454 barrel off e-bite and it it shold be here in about 7 days.
I know little about this round but have a few more questios.
what is the recoil and muzzle balast like out of the 12" barrels? (Not that it makes much diffrance I already shoot a 15 inch 45-70 wth no break)

I have a set of RCBS steel reloadign dies for the 45 colt can I get a way with useing them?

I want to use my 300 gr cast  gas checked bullets out of it for range work and deer hunting. you guys have any good loads for it, or should I just stay with jacketed bullets

what primers do you guys use?

I got your PM but I could not respond to you.  But here is the info.

In my opinion a 300 gr. gas check is not needed for deer. A 240 gr. Hornady is good enough. I got real good accuracy with them in my 454 Casull encore. I was using 36.0 gr. of H 110 with them. I use Starline brass and Winchester brass with Winchester small rifle primers.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

encore 454
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »
I have heard that h110 is the powder of choice for the 454 and will work almost as well in the 45 colt.

Offline teeball

• Trade Count: (0)
Shootin' the .454
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:23 PM »
The main thing I found was that with the heavy bullets, you get alot of wrist twist. The 240gr bullets worked great on deer, and are alot more comfortable to shoot.

Offline AWGunS

• Trade Count: (1)
encore 454
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:27:21 PM »
Freedom Arms warns against using 45 LC dies.  454 Dies are tighter dimensionally, which wil help hold bullets in place better in recoil and provide better ignition.  Not that it matters with the Encore, but better ignition would certainly be a reason not to use them.  By better ignition, I am refering to consistancy, shot to shot.

I have been looking into the 454 for the Encore.  Trying to decide between that and the 375 JDJ, though the two are apples and oranges.

A Smith
AWGunS

Offline rickyp

encore 454
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 01:05:52 PM »
right now I have in
 contender
10" 45-410 with sights, 357 herrett, 357 mag
14" 375 JDJ
Encore
12" 45-410
14.5" 308 winchester
15" 45-70  wiht no brake, 209x50
26" 209x45
and monday I should have me a new 12" 454

:grin:  :grin:

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
encore 454
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 10:35:06 AM »
rickyp, first of all, I love when people use the phrase "I won (insert) off of ebay today"  as if they get it for free, makes me want to run over to ebay and see what I can win! :)  All kidding aside, I've had a 12 .454 barrel for 3 years now, and I love it.  I moved from SD to a state where rifles are illegal for deer, and my only shotgun is a Citori, what better reason to use a pistol for deer, of course that meant I HAD to buy an Encore (that's what I told my wife anyway!)  I've been loading mainly cast bullets made by Lloyd Smale, they've worked great, especially the 320 LFN GC and his 300 gr. Keith w/GC.  I also have a few .45 Colt level loads worked up for plinking.  If you want more info, I'll email or PM you, I'm hesitant to post it, some of it is with heavier bullets that don't have load data published.  They are safe in my Encore (no bad things or pressure signs anyhow, an they're lower than what some guys have listed as "safe"), but if you want to use them, I'll give them to you.  
selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline rickyp

encore 454
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »
Please send me your loading data. email or pm what ever way you choose.

I just use others data for a ideer as to what might work with mine

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
encore 454
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 03:16:52 AM »
rickyp, I'm at work now, but I'll email you data when I get a chance.  I'll send my three favorite loads now, as I know them in my sleep!
selmer
PS  Sounds like you operate like I have operated in this regard, I use others to get an idea of where the top-end, middle, and possibly light loads are, then work up slowly!!!
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown