Author Topic: P38 Value  (Read 517 times)

Offline Remfarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
P38 Value
« on: May 02, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
I have a Nazi P38 brought back from WWII that was made by the Mauser (byf) plant in 1944. It is in very good to excellent condition  and was given to me by friend of my dad. He told me he was able to bring it back after we captured Berlin. I know he was an officer of some sort but he is deceased now and wished I asked more questions when younger. I have never shot this pistol but it has a perfect and shiny bore. What kind of value does this gun have or how can I find out the honest value?
Doug

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
P38 Value
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:27:37 PM »
Best bet is watch for what people actually pay for them. sites like Auction Arms or Gun Broker are good for research. Heres one for $700 opening bid, whether or not someone will pay that much will be seen in a couple of days.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7397739&aa=%20German%20%20P38%20P-38%20Nazi%20Germany%20BYF43%20Mauser%20Walther%20Matchin
Seems people on the auctions spend a lot more than things are supposed to be worth, a good thing if your selling.
NRA Lifer

Offline Questor

P38 Value
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 07:39:48 AM »
You might also try looking in Flaydermans (sp) blue book of gun values. A lot of gun shops that sell used guns will have a copy.
Safety first

Offline rockbilly

P38 Value
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:17:48 PM »
:D Auction Arms is a good gage to determine the value of the gun, but let me say, the market for both the P-38 and Luger is very fickled, they can go from one extreame to another overnight.  There is getting to be more interest in the guns, but fairly recent a bunch were dumped on the American market from several of the old soviet bloc countries.  Your gun as a "bring back" without import marks will sell higher than the recent imports.

I have one of each that I picked up in Germany back in the sixties.  I paid $100. for each of them,  I also bought an FN Browning, factory reconditioned at the same time for $70............I wish today I had bought all they had...........Hind sight is always 20/20. :roll: