Author Topic: Rating the Keltec  (Read 1148 times)

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Rating the Keltec
« on: April 27, 2006, 03:46:47 AM »
I am considering Buying one of the Keltec 9mm's for my wife.
I have no real experience with these handguns but I really like their size and feel. My wife currently carries a S&W model 30-1 in .32 S&W long that I am having a hard time making her part with. She does shoot it well, but It needs a bit more horsepower in my opinion. She loves my Glock 19 but needs a little smaller grip. What I am looking for from you folks is a no BS assessment of the Keltecs. Good Points, Bad points, Accuracy, Durability etc... Would you feel comfortable with your Wife or Mother or Daughter having one to defend themselves with if  you were not around?
She will still probably keep the S&W anyway but I still want her to have something more powerful, Maybe once she gets comfortable with it she will start leaving the little Smith at home.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 05:12:25 AM »
I carry mine a lot and trust it totally. Long trigger pull and will abrade your hand if shot a lot, but it works 100% of the time. Never had a malfunction. This is my second one and the first one was just as good. I don't feel bad about recommending them to anyone. You just have to get over the fact that it is not a highly polished/finished pistol. Inexpensive and it works.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »
I have the opposite view.

I've had bad luck with Kel-Tecs and would not depend on them to protect myself or my loved ones.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline jgalar

Rating the Keltec
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:11:23 PM »
I have no idea how many rounds have been my P11, but I have had 2 stovepipes using cast lead bullets and no problems at all with jacketed bullets. I have since polished the feed ramp, but haven't tried any more lead bullets. The trigger isn't really bad pull weight wise it is just very long. To me the trigger is like shooting a small revolver double action - you can get used to it.

Bad thing is it isn't as much fun to shoot as my CZ75...

Offline Savage

Rating the Keltec
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 01:59:05 AM »
I currently own (2) P-11s (2) P-3ATs and (1) P-32. One of the .380s had to have some repair due to a faulty assembly pin. The others have been very reliable and reasonably accurate. I currently have (2) PF-9s on order. My wife carries the P-32 daily. I carry one of the .380s daily, as backup to a duty weapon or solo carry most of time for off duty. I have qualified in the 460/500 range for the last 5yrs with one of these pistols (Duty Backup). Guess that shows how I feel about my Kel Tecs!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline predator_huntin

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.chrisdknight.com
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 05:42:53 AM »
Quote from: Savage
I currently own (2) P-11s (2) P-3ATs and (1) P-32. One of the .380s had to have some repair due to a faulty assembly pin. The others have been very reliable and reasonably accurate. I currently have (2) PF-9s on order. My wife carries the P-32 daily. I carry one of the .380s daily, as backup to a duty weapon or solo carry most of time for off duty. I have qualified in the 460/500 range for the last 5yrs with one of these pistols (Duty Backup). Guess that shows how I feel about my Kel Tecs!
Savage

i love my little P3AT as well.  it rides with me everywhere, is small and light enough to carry anywhere and is as reliable is any revolver IMHO.  i have never had a jam of any type in mine, and i love it.

Savage,

what can you tell me about the PF-9's?  i love the looks of them and want one bad...but do you know when they will be available?  you said you had two on order, how much was the price tag and where did you order them from?  when do you expect to get them?

Offline Savage

Rating the Keltec
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 06:44:43 AM »
predator huntin,
The last I heard from my dealer was, available by June/July, and a price range of $250-$280. I've not seen a PF-9, but like the size. I understand that they will have the improved trigger system of the .380 incorporated into a single stack version of the P-11. I'm betting that they have another winner here!
Savage

Offline predator_huntin

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.chrisdknight.com
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 02:08:38 AM »
thanks Savage for the reply, i guess i'll have to go by the local "pusher" and try to place an order...

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 03:18:36 AM »
Quote from: Sir Knight
I have the opposite view.

I've had bad luck with Kel-Tecs and would not depend on them to protect myself or my loved ones.

I couldnt agree more. I'd take a Keltec over those Hi Points though. Dont even get me going on those...

:shock:

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Kel-Tec
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 11:01:17 AM »
I have P11 and am coming uo on 3000 rounds thru it,after a short breakin period I  have had no problems with the pistol.if you limp wrist it it will jam   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 06:05:32 AM »
I've carried my Kel-Tec P3AT for about 2 years now... and just sent it back to the factory for some "smoothing up" 2 weeks ago.  A Kel-Tec representative told me it would be a MONTH (YIKES!!!) before I got my little pistol back.   :(

I was concerned about it "stove-piping" with Winchester "ball" ammo (with the semi-flat nose).  However, I don't keep that ammo in the gun... I just bought it for practice.  My self-defense loads that I carry in the pistol are Federal Hi-Shok hollow points which seem to function just fine through the little pistol.

I could have simply kept the little pistol "as is" because it DID work "ok", but I thought it might be prudent to have the factory do a "polishing & smoothing" job on it for "insurance" since I carry it daily and my life might one day depend on it working perfectly... AND... the original Kel-Tec owner (that's me) has a "life-time warranty", so why not make use of it?

When I first got the little P3AT 2 years ago, I had to put about 250 rounds through it before it stopped acting up (jamming, stove-piping, etc.), but since then (except for the blunt-nosed Winchester "balls" ammo), it has worked flawlessly when being actually "fired".  However, when the slide was "worked" by hand, the slide "hesitates" slightly when loading the Federal Hi-Shok hollow points, but the rounds DO chamber.  In actual practice (firing the gun), there is little or NO hesitation in the rounds chambering.

However, with Speer GoldDots (which came highly recommended by another P3AT owner), I had to "slap" the back of the slide forward on the first round in order to get the GoldDots to chamber when manually operating the slide.  I didn't try the gun/ammo combination under actual "firing" conditions.

I fully intend to try some CorBon +P rounds in the little pistol and may very likely settle on that round as my new self-defense load due to it's higher (than the Hi-Shoks) muzzle velocity which gives about 10% more ft/lbs. of muzzle energy (220 ft/lbs vs 200 ft/lbs) compared to the other self-defense loads.

For all of the above reasons, I felt it would be a good idea to have the little Kel-Tec P3AT functioning as perfectly as possible since I intend to continue to carry it as my primary self-defense weapon once I get it back from the "factory".

Meanwhile, I'm back to carrying the original "light-weight" concealable pistol, my 1935 Walther PPK in 7.65mm (.32 ACP) which weighs 24.5 ounces loaded with 7 rounds of Winchester Silver-Tip Hollow Points.

Butttttttttttt... since I've carried the P3AT for 2 years now... I'm "spoiled" because my P3AT weighs only 10.6 oz. fully loaded with 7 rounds (6 in the clip + 1 in the chamber) of the more powerful .380 ACP vs. 24.5 ounces for the fully-loaded PPK in .32 ACP.

You can probably imagine the HUGE DIFFERENCE in sustained weight I'm experiencing at this point during an "all-day-carry"... I sure miss my little Kel-Tec P3AT and can hardly wait to get it back!!!

I've heard about & seen pictures of the new single-stack 9x19 model Kel-Tec is just bringing out and understand that it weighs only 14 ounces unloaded, but loaded, that pistol will still be about TWICE as heavy as my little P3AT (10.6 oz. fully loaded)... and when you carry a pistol in your pants pocket ALL DAY, the "difference" in size and weight can become a distinct factor in "desirability".

I've heard about and read a considerable amount about the superiority of the 9mm Parabellum vs. the .380... but the 9x19's advantage can be diminished somewhat through the use of the .380 CorBon +P ammo.

And, besides, where does this "stopping power thing" stop???  The same case could be made for the superiority of the .40 cal. S&W vs. the 9x19... or even a worse scenario, the superiority of the .45 ACP vs. the 9mm Parabellum!!!

In my opinion, the weight, size, concealability & "carry-ability" of the Kel-Tec P3AT together with the stopping power of the .380 ACP cartridge makes the little P3AT a "best buy" in the concealed carry department.  And certainly, the combination of it's attributes makes the P3AT "THE" best all-around choice for me as the "weapon-of-choice" for concealed carry in a daily basis.

Now... I really NEED to get my "baby" back from the factory so I can put the PPK away again!

Just my 2ยข worth... I'm sure other's opinions will vary... but that's ok.   According to my wife, I'm NEVER "right" about anything!   Of course, she's managed to live pretty darned well for the past 47 years without holding a job outside our home.   :-)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Savage

Rating the Keltec
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 06:36:50 AM »
Ron T,
When I sent my first P-3AT back to the factory to cure the Assembly Pin problem, I missed it so much that I bought a second P-3AT. It was a good investment! I now have one set up with the left hand pocket clip for IWB carry when I cannot pocket carry the other one in my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. That way, my "Little Friend" or it's brother is always at hand. Just a thought---------- :)
Savage

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Rating the Keltec
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 10:01:34 PM »
Savage...

Surprise!!!  Surprise!!!

My little K-T came back from the factory today with a new extractor, a high-polishing job on the feed ramp and NO MAGAZINE!  ("Opppppsss")

I called Kel-Tec and told them they kept my magazine whereupon they said they'd send me a new one... no charge... and it would go out today.  Problem solved.

I'm SURE glad to have my "baby" (the P3AT in .380) back... and am looking forward to getting the new magazine, but this means I'll have to test the pistol, not only due to the new parts and work done on it, but because of the new magazine.  But I really can't complain since I would have had to give the little pistol a thorough test anyway to insure it's still working good.

I am also considering Kel-Tec's new single-stack 9x19 which I believe they call the "PF-11".  They told me that the new pistol isn't even in production yet and won't be until the late Summer or early Autumn which means a short supply once the shipments begin and for the rest of this year.

However, with the new CorBon DPX ammo coming out any day in .380+P and being as effective as the CorBon DPX ammo is in other calibers, I doubt that I'll need to go to the 9mm Parabellum PF-11 & ammo because the new CorBon high performance .380 ammo will increase the effectiveness of the .380 (aka "9x17") round.

As far as buying a 2nd. P3AT... I doubt that I'll ever do that since I have the Walther PPK in 7.65mm as well as a couple of other very small "pocket-pistols".  But thanx for the thought.   :wink:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Savage

Rating the Keltec
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 01:29:42 AM »
Ron T.
Glad you got your P-3AT back! When I sent my first one back to the factory they kept my magazine too. Lesson learned!  Before shooting I'd check for burrs and lube it properly. Bet it works like a charm! Mine are duty backups as well as sometimes primary carry off duty. I have mine set up in two different configurations to facilitate both modes-----besides, I needed an excuse to buy a second one! :)
Savage

Offline S.S.

Rating the Keltec
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 04:40:52 AM »
WELL.... My wife will have no part of the Keltec
we went to look at. That little S&W model 30-1 of hers really has a
hold on her! If she feels that confident and comfortable with it
I guess I will leave well enough alone. (she does shoot it well)
There is a small ammunition
manufacturer about 20 miles from my house that loads some pretty nasty rounds for a .32 S&W long so I guess I will just get a couple of boxes of those. It will make me feel a little better anyway. I have just built a
Custom .38 snubnose that I am going to get her practicing with too,
Maybe she will like it!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".