Author Topic: MIM PARTS  (Read 642 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
MIM PARTS
« on: May 14, 2006, 12:45:01 AM »
I have been doing some reading around. This little study was based on the want of a new .38 super. Somehow I got off into the thoughts of MIM parts in weapons.
I must confess that this subject brings out the spirit in folks and some folks are blessed with old thoughts that may not apply to this subject any more. At any rate this is the jest of what I have read.
I have taken my thoughts from those that presented their reasoning based on experience and knowledge, not on "old wives tales."
MIM parts on weapons are not bad parts that must inherently be changed to insure reliability in any weapons.
One GOOD source was adamant that he would change out ALL MIM parts on any weapon he worked on, based on making the weapon bullet proof. I respect that thought but he refused to understand the nature of MIM part construction and the advances made in the manufacture of these parts. He kept referring to heat treated bar stock using only hardened steel.
I was impressed by another two or three builders who pointed out the differences between bar stock and hardened steel and the fack that MIM parts are hardened or heat treated in one or two stages depending on the manufacturer.
It was a good study and I came away with a different view of MIM parts and less of a fear of the using.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dusty Miller

MIM PARTS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 05:47:16 AM »
Uh.................whattsa MIM part? :?
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline GrantCunningham

• http://www.grantcunningham.com
MIM PARTS
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 06:46:56 AM »
Since I deal with the MIM parts as used in revolvers, as well as being fascinated with the technology, I've come to accept it as just another way of making a part.

While I understand them fancy self-shuckers  :-D  have had issues with MIM parts breakage, those used in revolvers have - so far - been perfectly serviceable. My experience and understanding of the process have lead me to believe that problems with MIM parts are probably best attributed to improper engineering.
-=[ Grant ]=-
--
"The earth isn't flat, your gun shouldn't be either!"
--
www.grantcunningham.com

Offline Savage

MIM PARTS
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
Metal Injection Molding.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.S.

MIM PARTS
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:00:58 AM »
I think it is a fancy term for cast parts.
Cast parts are , in my opinion, weaker than those
machined from bar stock. I will bet though that
most weapons have lots of cast parts now.
As I understand it, they are much cheaper to produce.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline GrantCunningham

• http://www.grantcunningham.com
MIM PARTS
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:39:49 AM »
MIM (metal injection molding) is an interesting process.

Powdered metal is mixed with a polymer; the resulting mixtured is injected into a mold, then heated (in a vacuum, I believe) until the metal has melted and the polymer is burned off. That's the simple explanation, though in practice it is far more complicated.

The part actually shrinks by the amount of space originally taken up by the polymer, so the molds are actually made oversized to compensate for the shrink.

The resulting parts come out to size, and with whatever surface finish is needed. The parts can be heat treated, welded, etc. (depending on their composition, of course.)

What is interesting about the process is its capabilities. The parts can be made in forms that would be difficult (or nearly impossible) to machine. The desired hardness can be built into the part; unfortunately, many parts seem to be ordered in hardnesses (and therefore brittleness) that are inappropriate for the use (the engineering errors I alluded to earlier.) In addition, it is possible to construct alloys that normally cannot be had in machineable form.

Downsides? There is some concern about how the parts will perform over a period of decades. The process is only suitable for relatively thin parts (say, 1/4 to 3/8 thick), though this is changing as the process advances. It's also not suitable for parts that must maintain extremely tight tolerances; while there is a lot of conflicting information, it appears that a half-thousandth is about the limit of the process.

It's also relatively expensive from a materials cost standpoint, as well as fixturing (molds.) For instance, the hammers which S&W produces in their revolvers are probably slightly more expensive than their older models. Only in very large production runs can the increased fixturing costs be recouped - but the material is always more expensive, at least at the current state of the art. Of course, cost is only one of many factors that are be weighed by the designers when choosing this process. MIM allows them to produce ready-to-use parts in very complicated forms, which apparently compensates for the increased cost.
-=[ Grant ]=-
--
"The earth isn't flat, your gun shouldn't be either!"
--
www.grantcunningham.com

Offline williamlayton

MIM PARTS
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 01:12:59 AM »
The general consensus is that in the near future entire weapons will be made from Metal injection. This is from the smallest part to the frame, and, it will be a good weapon.
We will see.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.S.

MIM PARTS
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 07:28:04 AM »
Well I was resistant to polymer parts too and They seem to be OK. Just old and set in my stubborn ways I guess?  :wink:
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".