Author Topic: Brass frame with conversion cylinder question??  (Read 1105 times)

Offline tx77057

• Trade Count: (0)
Brass frame with conversion cylinder question??
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:18:54 AM »
I have a question for all you folks that have conversion cylinders and might have tried them in a brass frame, but would not promote it due to legal reasons.

All the articles say to use them only with steel frames because of strengh reasons and that brass frames are much weaker and stretch over time.

I have a brass frame 58 remmie and I shoot MAX loads with pyrodex all the time and have never seen any signs of streching. From what I gathered,, the cowboy loads in cartidge form are reduced loads to emulate the velocity of BP or pyrodex anyway. SO what is really the difference??

I think they would be fine over time with a remmie for sure because of the top strap, but maybe not with a colt style.

Here is my reasoning,  The Uberti henry and Yellow boy rifles also have all brass frames and shoot full power modern handgun 45 colt and other pistol calibers.   They have an outer brass frame "shell" that holds everything in place, but have a steel bolt that closes on a steel barrel.   Just like the Steel conversion cylinders (better quality than some of the guns itself) that closes on a steel barrel which resides in a brass frame pistol.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks
in Advance

Offline Flint

brass frames
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:18:55 AM »
There is a lot more stress on the gun shooting cartridges, even with black powder as there is better compression, a much heavier and harder bullet and more energy.

The (bronze gunmetal) brass frame is too soft in the thread areas, and will stretch, (even the steel frames will stretch) and I have found, especially with the Colt types that they wear out very quickly.

The Remington frame is stronger than the Colt, but I wouldn't subject the brass frameto a cartridge conversion in 45 Caliber, and they don't make a 36 brass framed Remington that I know of.

You can more than pay for a more suitable steel framed gun with the expense of converting a 44 to 38 just to save buying another revolver.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 02:08:49 AM »
Also the bronze in the rifles is a good bit harder than that used in the pistols, and with the 73 and 66 and Henry the cartriges are hardly full power modern rounds.  The basic store bought 45 colt is down loaded to keep from blowing up great grand dad's peacemaker.  And hot loads are not recomended in them, but that's more to the action than the frame.

You might get away with converting a brass framed revolver for a while but your asking for a bomb to go off in your hand, DON'T DO IT!!!
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline tomhargrove

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:26:12 AM »
also you might consider that the steel bbl is screwed into a brass frame no matter how strong the replacement cyl, is this is an injury looking to happen not to mention  flame cutting on a brass frame !!!

"war does not decide what is right ,rather only what is left"

Offline S.S.

Re: Brass frame with conversion cylinder question??
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:39:19 AM »
I was under the impression that these Conversions were still for
Black powder cartridges? is this not the case?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".