Author Topic: new pardner  (Read 720 times)

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
new pardner
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »
ordered a new pardner 12g. last week. 28" barrel hoping will be good for crows. what load is best for crows?
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
crows
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 05:42:10 AM »
:grin: 351, I ain't no expert on this and other guys on the forum know a lot more about this, but I say pattern your gun first -say 40 yds-with #4 or #6 shot and see which has the best killing pattern. Hunman55

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
new pardner
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 06:24:53 AM »
I'd expect too many holes in a pattern using large shot like 4 and 6 - they give  poor shot density for the small bodies of crows.   I'd use 7 1/2 or 8 shot if it were me.  You can also gain shot density by using heavier loads - 1 3/4 oz for example, but then recoil will be heavy and the price will be high.  Crows are not hard to kill if you can get enough pellets into their bodies.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
new pardner
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 03:20:30 PM »
I second the suggestion of patterning your Pardner.  

I hunt with 12 ga Pardners in barrel lengths of 28" (mod) and 32" (full)and a 28" (full) 16 ga.  Each shoots high at normal squirrel distances (probably out to 30yds).  With any of my pump's and auto's, I aim dead on.  With the Pardners, I aim at the lowest part of the squirrel and sometimes at the branch he's on, depending on how close.  

For squirrling I typically use the least expensive low brass 7/8 oz and 1 oz 6 shot I can get, which is usually Rem Game Loads or Federal Game Loads (red box).

EVOC ONE

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
new pardner
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
thanks for the suggestions. i was thinking i would need some magnum shells but it sounds like i might not have to. i'm still waiting but it shouldn't be long. i think i'll get a limbsaver pad for it as suggested in another posting.
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline LEO

• Contributor
new pardner
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 11:24:34 AM »
351, Crow hunting is one of my favorite past times, I have killed a few with my single shots but usually use a pump or semi-auto. But the action type is irrelevent to the question of ammo.  I almost exclusively use Sellor and Bellot 1 1/4 ounce loads with 7 1/2 shot.  I call and shoot over decoys so my average shot is probably around 30 yards.  These loads are cheap, clean and kill very well but as someone else suggested pattern them and see how they work in your particular shotgun because as you probably know shotguns are fickle creatures and usually have a favorite load and sometimes won't pattern at all with another load.  Good luck and good hunting, by the way crow hunting is highly addictive so be be careful.