Author Topic: has anyone tried this  (Read 705 times)

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
has anyone tried this
« on: April 02, 2003, 04:55:36 PM »
Hello,
I just gave up on a custom mold,and now I have about 8 pounds of scrap bullets with a BHN of 9.
I wonder if I could add this to  a different alloy of the same BHN?
My alloys are scrap metals,and I have no idea of the exact composition of either one;I just know that they are of the same hardness.
I would be adding to a 20 pound pot. That would be about a 40% add.
Has anyone ever tried this? What is the possible drawback?
Thanks,
Frank
Frank

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
has anyone tried this
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 06:58:17 PM »
Bullet consistency involves alloy composition and hardness.  There are many other factors as well.

It would not hurt to melt your scrap bullets with the other alloy.  
You do need to flux thoroughly and stir well, of coruse.  That larger batch will now be uniform enough to make up new, quality bullets, even if the exact alloy composition is off a bit.

I do it all the time, and it never hurt my match comepetion ammo accuracy.
John Traveler

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
has anyone tried this
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 11:20:23 PM »
just about every alloy I use is a mixture of a couple different ones. Just know that when you change your alloy bullet weight changes also bullet reaction when the shot is fired changes and it will affect accuacy and point of aim. Never know it may shoot better. Ive had bullets cast out of one alloy that wouldnt shoot in a gun worth a hoot and by just switching alloys theyve shot like a dream. So before you pitch that mold try a few diiferent alloys
blue lives matter

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
mixing alloys
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 09:26:36 AM »
Thanks,Folks.
I had decided to mix the two,unless I was advised against it.
Loyd,the mold in question has a driving band diameter of only.298. It should be .301. I tried,it's a paper patch bullet,to cover the nose of the bullet with the paper,to no avail. I could bump up the nose,but the mold maker supplied me with a new mold. That one is just fine.
Frank
Frank