Author Topic: Walmart Quitting????  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Walmart Quitting????
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:38:58 AM »
Was told last night by a friend who is a Walmart Store Manager, that Walmart is discontinuing gun sales in several THOUSAND stores in the immediate future. I personally, have purchased a few firearms from Walmart and buy ammo there from time to time. (I usually try to buy from my local gun shop even tho he's a bit highter, to try to keep him in business.) But I know there are a LOT of smaLL towns out there that only have a Walmart for their guns and ammo. Hope it ain't so.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 06:55:06 AM »
I talked to a sporting goods manager at a local Walmart & he said only one store in our region will be losing their's, I guess we won't be losing others because of our nasty Southern "Gun Culture."  :eek:
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 09:54:23 AM »
Well, that means more business for the mom and pop gun stores.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline onecoyote

• Contributor
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:36:14 AM »
Yep, good one Sheila.......Walmart ran all the mom and pop stores out of business across this country.
Now all the Walmart family members have billions. Mom and pop probably died with no money thanks to the Hellmart family.

Now they are betraying the gun owners of this country, what a wonderful American family they are........... they don't give a rats ass what we think anyways, unless we all stopped shopping there, that ain't gonna happen.
New Mexico Predator Callers Asso.
High Desert Predator Callers.
California Varmint Callers Asso.
So-Cal Varmint Callers Asso.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
I think Wal-Mart was a mom and pop store at one time.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline jhm

Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 05:05:17 AM »
Im just curious how many of these anti Wal-mart people will jump in and take their 3 to 400,000.00 dollars they have stuck back and open them up a small and I mean small retail gunshop, any volenteers or just some normal Anti big store talk  :-D  :D    JIM

Offline onecoyote

• Contributor
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:13:10 AM »
jhm, I owned or should I say 1/2 owned a gun shop years ago. Now I'm in the small motel business. I don't have $400,000 to play with, if I did I'd retire. :wink:  
Sheila, you're right again.  :wink:
New Mexico Predator Callers Asso.
High Desert Predator Callers.
California Varmint Callers Asso.
So-Cal Varmint Callers Asso.

Offline jhm

Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:57:50 AM »
Onecoyote:  Yes you are correct I have owned 2 Gunshops in my lifetime and anyone who thinks it is easy to open one up and fully stock it and supplies, along with Insurance and security systems, hasnt woke up yet, It is vary expensive to stock a gunshop with any amount of quality guns that all feel they have a right to fondle at their own liesure, I wouldnt go into the new firearms business again for love or money, you need a clientel that is willing to pay for the products or you can get hurt real quick, customers are all the same on everything being sold from eggs, cars, boats and guns they all want a rock bottom price, and in the gun business there are cost like Insurance that must be delt with or you will loose your lunch, if you can get your shooting supplies at a wal-mart or a larger store be thankful as they can buy it cheeper and pass it on to you than mom and pop can. :D    JIM

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
And I'm sure in these places you can expect the prices to rise on ammo becuase of the lack of competition from wallyworld.....
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
Walmart Quitting????
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »
A lot of gun shops have forgot that you can sell a gun at or over retail price but if your accessesories and ammo are at that same level they will be looking for another line of work soon. They should take a cue from fishing tackle shops. Sell a buyer a fishing outfit only you have a one time customer but if you offer an extensive line of lures (most lures are designed to 'catch' the fisherman), lines, tackle boxes and fishing cups (you have to have smething to put in the cup holders on your bassboat), he/she will be back again.

Very few gunshops know the meaning of the phrase "lost leader". You also have to learn about which products will sell well in volume at a discounted price and those that are "hot" and can stand full retail pricing.

I have three (or four) shops I trade with in the Houston area and while their prices for the most part aren't Wally World cheap, they are below (or can be haggled down) retail price. Then there are the "others" who I have a feeling that they are in business for a hobby and running the business at a lost for tax purposes. I other words this store is my 'collection' and if you want to buy my guns from my collection you will pay dearly if you can get my "staff's" attention :twisted: .
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline TxPhantom

Long Live W. M.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 10:08:45 AM »
We love W. Mart and shop there often. Bought a few 22 rifles from Wally World and lots of ammo. We were disappointed when they quit selling firearms but the store we shop at still sells ammo. They never sold hand guns anyway.

Most gun stores in my area (Suburbs N. Of Dallas) are pretty pricey on everything. Funny how gun stores with exibits in gun shows can get competivitely priced but in their stores they usually try to get MSRP. We have bought several, about five, guns from Academy at pretty decent prices but they have been steadily increasing their prices. Academy ammo is well priced though. My next purchase will be a S & W MP 40. Academy price, NIB, $549.00 but priced at a local gun range $499.00. Probably get one at a gun show for around $470.00. If Wally World wasn't fighting off constant assaults by liberals and their unions, I could probably get one for about $450.00. But who really knows!  :?

We should all be as savy as old Sam was! :roll:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

Samurai Saying; \"After a victory is the time you should tighten your helmet straps\"