Author Topic: Range report: two 44 mags.  (Read 535 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Range report: two 44 mags.
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:53:51 PM »
Just got back from the range with my 4" S&W 629 and my 6" Colt Anaconda.  First of all, DON'T shoot a 180 gr. JHP over 29 gr. of H110 in a four inch 629!!   YEOOOOOWWWWW!! That sucker do recoil sompt'n furoshus!  The MV on that load is over 1450 fps from that gun and it just ain't no fun to shoot.  The same load out of the 56 oz. Anaconda is just fine (1500 fps).  I gotta find a powder/load combination that'll give me about 1100-1200 fps and that'll be manageable I do believe.  I might add that a 240 gr. LSWC over 21.5 grains of AA9 is a major handful also.  I really like shooting the Anaconda using my 336 gr. WLN cast bullet over 17 gr. of AA9 (1150fps) and the same bullet over 19 gr. of H110 (1200 fps). That latter load, BTW had an SD of .5! :eek: The same bullet over 10.3 gr. of AA5 will give me almost the same MV. Well, that's about all I can say about that trip except I gotta get out to the garage and clean a couple of guns, that's always the downside but life's that way, so I'm told.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »
Nice to see someone doing something constructive on the holiday weekend, like burning some powder!  I just put a spring kit in my 4" 629 mountain gun.  I usually shoot 300 grainers at 1100+.  These aren't very nice either.  I think it's the narrow grips that it comes with.  Does shoot nice though.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 05:06:54 PM »
I'm planning on turning the 4" into a SD gun and have a TC laser on it.  The grips that come with the laser are not the best and that's a lot of the problem but still I want a round that's not a handful of recoil to handle 'cuz follow-up shots in SD work are pretty doggone important! There's a note I made in my AA reloading manual to the effect that 12.8 gr. of AA5 under that 180 gr. JHP are a lot easier on the hands.  So, I've loaded up a bunch of those and hopefully will get to the range tomorrow and run'm over the chrono.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
flash
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »
Dusty

Did you find a powder with less muzzle flash for a 44 mag sd round?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:44:55 AM »
Well, I've loaded up some rounds with 12.8 gr. of AA5, that's a much lighter load and I'm sure the muzzle blast & flash will be considerably less.