Author Topic: Neglect to failure?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Neglect to failure?
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:38:27 AM »
What gun have you neglected maintaining until it failed?

Mine was a 1911 that I shot 600 round through before it started to jam because it was filthy. I oiled the slide regularly during that period. This was an experiment just to see how long it would take for things to go wrong, it's not my usual routine.
Safety first

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
Neglect to failure?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »
I am currently doing the same with my Springfield full size 1911.  I shoot cast lead with Bullseye powder.  I oil the gun pretty heavily before each shoot.  I shoot falling plates competion every 2 weeks.  I am currently at about 2000 rounds with no failures.  (Really!).  It's has gotten to be a running joke at the shoots when I pull out my gun to "clean" it , meaning I just squirt a drop of 10 of oil on the important looking parts.  By the way I read an article by Ross Seyfried ( 1 or 2 time world combat pistol champ), that said he cleaned his 1911's every 10,000 rounds when practicing, only applying oil to keep the gunk in a semi-fluid state.  I'll let you know if I make it to 10,000!

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Neglect to failure?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »
An M-249 SAW...I shot about 7 drums through it (200 rounds per drum) of blank ammo during a Field Training Exercise (Ulchi Focus Lense in Korea), and worked fine, I kept pouring CLP in the action, and it finally failed me on that 7th drum (Of course military blanks are SERIOUSLY dirty!).  I have had several M16A2s fail on me through no fault of my own cleaning, and an M4.  Other than that, I meticulously clean my Personally Owned Weapons, except for my shotguns, and .22s, which get it once every six months, once a month during bird season on my shotguns.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
Neglect to failure?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »
Well you jinxed me!  2,030-something rounds, a failure to feed.  It almost made it into the chamber.  I knew if I bragged about my gun, it would be sure to screw up, and it did.  Oh well, gotta go, I have about 2 hours worth of scrubbing do do.