Author Topic: Front sight screw size?  (Read 381 times)

Offline cpj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Front sight screw size?
« on: June 01, 2006, 02:42:56 PM »
Just got the shorty ramp and the lyman front sight, complete with the Williams target peep for my 4570. The screw that came with the ramp is bigger than the original screw, so my question is what size is the original smaller screw. Thanks in advance.
Chris

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Front sight screw size?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
Older barrels have a much smaller screw, dunno what it is, but the later barrels use a 6x48 which is the same as comes with the Williams ramps.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
Front sight screw size?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »
I think that Im going to go to Lowes and see if they have one. YEAH RIGHT!  Im sure that they wont have one, but its worth a shot cause the black tape that I have holding the front sight on wont likely hold up to the recoil. Why black tape? Well silly, I had to see how the new sights looked! :-D  I hope they have one, so that I can go shoot it tomorrow. There is a public range that is right on the way home from where I will be working.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Front sight screw size?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 03:20:57 PM »
Compared it to a 4x48, I'd say it's a 3x40, it's smaller and a bit more coarse. Your best option would be to buy a 6x48 drill and a #32 drill bit and change the hole. You'd just about need a drill press to do it tho, doing it by hand isn't easy, but can be done. Next best choice is your local gunsmith.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=293476
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
Front sight screw size?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »
Unfortunatly, I think that you are correct. I would be better off re tapping the hole. And I think that it is a number three screw, and I dont know if I can get the same size head on a number three, as is on the number 6. I have a drill press, but by the time I buy the tap and drill bit, It would be just as easy to have the gunsmith do it. I might just see how much he would charge to cut a dovetail in it, and get rid of the ramp.

Offline DutchV

• Trade Count: (1)
Front sight screw size?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »
My local gunsmith charges $11 to drill & tap a hole.  That's probably low, but even if it was $20 I'd jump on it.  I don't trust myself for that sort of thing.

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
Front sight screw size?
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:01:50 PM »
I put the factory front sight back on untill I can get the hole redrilled. Oh well,at least I will have the rear sight to try out.