Author Topic: Went with the BSA red dot. Any thoughts on this?  (Read 688 times)

Offline kylongbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
Went with the BSA red dot. Any thoughts on this?
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:34:10 AM »
Well...I was trying to get away from having to use a scope or red-dot sight system, but took my gunsmith's advice and went with the BSA Red Dot.  My turkey patterns were very good, but well left at 40 yds.  The Kick's GT is just right for this 10 gauge SB2, but didn't like the idea of having to remember to aim 10 inches right while under pressure.  Any of you guys experimented with this sight?  Good or bad, I'de like to hear your thoughts.  In total (sight, base, mounting and bore-sighting) I'm out $65.00.  I can live with this if it means more confidence in a sport that I absolutely love.

Offline huntnut

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Went with the BSA red dot. Any thoughts on
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »
I have used the BSA red dot ont my mossberg 835 for hunting turkey and waterfowl, and had one on my .44mag encore. never had a problem with recoil messing them up staid zeroed in. I'm going to get one for my nef 10ga too and for my 270 encore pistol cant afford a $300 scope for it yet so I figured it well work. The one I had on my 44 would shoot 6" groups at 100yrds.
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
On my MAD 10 ga I first tried a BSA Red dot and it did not every adjust to the piont of impact.  I finally replaced it with a  Leupold VX-I 1x4 shotgun scope and I have not looked back.  This set up gives me the best piont of aim to point of impact I have tried.   Yes it is pricey but if I'm willing to go at extra step so be it.  I know now that I can place my shots where I want them to go.  I'm hitting my range target with 13 pellets in the kill zone at 50 yrds.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 12:45:23 PM »
I had one, a light spring shower got it damp during sight in just prior to turkey season the first year I had it, it fogged up, it's no longer with me, BSA doesn't indicate it's waterproof and fogproof, I shoulda looked before I bought it.  :cry:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cmbtengr12b

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 07:17:15 AM »
I have a BSA red dot scope on my Ultra Slug Hunter. It works good for me. I don't shoot my lightfield (my favorite) sabot's any further than 150m. I really like the inexpensive, yet practical set up.
Dave

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Went with the BSA red dot. Any thoughts on this?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 02:38:51 AM »
I had one on my SKS before trading it off. For what it is..and for the $20...it worked well. Many many rounds fired through it and it adjusted and held zero very well. The dot brightness was bright, but not without it's shortcomings. High settings it was pretty big and in direct sunlight it was a tad difficult to decipher. It would fog up a little in extreme damp weather, but not so much that I couldn't see my target. Also BSA has a hard time with anti-reflective coating on the rear lenses on thier scopes, this applys to the RedDot as well. Still, I could hit 6" targets free handed at 225yards with it. Not a sharp shooter by any means, but then again SKS's aren't exactly bench rest quality. Tons of fun though. All in all if the need comes back for another RedDot, I'd pick up another. Besides you can pick them up really cheap if you look around.
-Aaron

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Re: Went with the BSA red dot. Any thoughts on this?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 01:45:48 PM »
Ditchdigger put one on his 45-70 barrel and has killed a hog and mangled a beaver with it. He likes his and I did too when I looked thru it. Might have to try one eventually myself. Like someone else said, you certainly can't go wrong for the cost of one.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org