Author Topic: wife shooting  (Read 1447 times)

Offline urrlord

• Trade Count: (0)
wife shooting
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:48:54 AM »
took my wife out shooting yesterday.her first husband  took her out shooting with a 22 rifle,and was freaked by the fact she was a better shot than him.well i decided to give her some pistol practice since i got her a carry permit.guns used--rossi 32 long,rossi 38 special,feg 32 auto,ruger 357.most of the shooting was at 7 to 10 yards.paper targets- she shot low with just about everything although by the end she was closer to the bullseye.switched to 2 liter bottles bottles mounted on weed stalks and she hit them 75-80%.so it appears that she is a dynamic shooter(needs the feedback of movement).well she liked the 32 long ,did not like the 32 auto,thought the 38 was loud,but liked the 38 rounds fired thru the 357,and was amazed by the 357 rds.i think that in a few more lessons she will get pretty good,but right now i feel she will be okay with the carry gun(rossi 32 6 shot) if she needs it.i am also going to get her a grip exerciser to use,because her grip seemed a bit loose.but i think it will all be ok in the end.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
wife shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:54:10 AM »
:agree:
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
wife shooting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:33:42 AM »
Shooting your wife is illegal in most places, look what they did to Scott Peterson and they really never had much evidence he even did it.  :-D  :D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
wife shooting
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:12:11 PM »
LMAO @ Graybeard!!!
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
wife shooting
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 12:37:01 PM »
With that subject line I just couldn't resisit.  :evil: made me do it.  :lol:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline urrlord

low values
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:52:14 PM »
well she is a good woman.she doesn't fuss about my hunting,i just spent too much money at sporting goods store  whose owner is retiring. i now have enough 16 gauge ammo for years of squirrel and rabbit hunting she did not fuss.in fact she made me go back and buy her some ammo and a waist and shoulder holster.so i cannot shoot her(besides she is under insured )       p.s. i thought the header would get a few looks

Offline Hiker

Tagging Along
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 05:09:06 PM »
Sometimes spouses will go along to show interest or even participate. It's nice to share some interests, even occasionally, eh. What if she wanted to go again, soon? That might be fun!

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
wife shooting
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 06:11:20 PM »
WHERE you shoot her is what counts...you don't want her alive to testify you know...

:)  :)  :)

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Ripper

wife shooting
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 06:43:23 AM »
Sounds like you had a good experience teaching a family member to shoot. A number of years ago I took my Mom to the range because she wanted a carry permit. We started with a Ruger Single Six .22 and then moved to a Ruger Mark II. She like the semi more than a revolver so I decided to let her try my Glock 17.

:eek:

I would like to take time to thank the people at Glock for having a life time warranty. My Mom fired the Glock once and immediately dropped it on the floor at the range. I'd only loaded a single round just incase something like this happened. I never thought to put some padding down. The rear sight snapped off when the gun hit the floor. We live near Glocks facility in Smyrna so I was able to take the gun directly to them for repair.

We've gone back to the range a number of times since then, but I've never let her try the Glock since then.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
wife shooting
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 01:26:31 PM »
I had a girl a while back that wouldn't touch my smith .40, only shoot the .22's.  Hanging out with one, first time I took her out, shot the .44mag a few times, think she's a keeper!!

Teaching the girls to shoot is great, just don't teach them to draw quicker than you, never know about the future!! :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
ladies who shoot
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 10:44:35 PM »
Yep this thread title is real eye catching.  Wondered who might get clever and if GB would approve.  He's IT!!

In my experience ladies often make excellent shots if they are interested.  They pay attention to instructions, don't think they are genetically born to shoot, and haven't developed a ton of bad habits.

So I expect to get beat. And I'm glad when it happens.  Its good to have lady shooters. Good on those who encourage and train them well.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline jhm

wife shooting
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 02:08:11 AM »
Well I actually thought it was about the man who shot his wife in the drive thru lane at the Local chicken fast food place in a town about 11 miles from here, but since it isnt and they arrested him last night I guess it safe for some chicken for lunch  :D    JIM

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
wife shooting
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »
many of the ladies i take out shooting end up doing as well or better than the guys that are hanging around the range.
like  someone above said they don't think they already know everything, havn't formed bad habits (usually), and if they have really good hearing protection don't have a preconcieved idea of recoil.
my current girl just shot 60 rounds of .45-70 through my bfr and a few through the .460 (the .460 is a little too sharp of recoil with a little arthritis in the hands).
she can shoot the .45-70 (300gr jhp at 1820fps) as well as anyone there.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
wife shooting
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »
The difference between taking a man to shoot and a woman/kid to shoot is in most instances the men are sure they will be perfect shots while the women are sure they will be terrible shots. When men don't meet their expectations they get disturbed and try harder to prove themselves often only to shoot worse. Women on ther other hand are delighted that they do better than they expect and as their confidence builds so does their skill.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
wife shooting
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 06:25:13 AM »
Having taught/helped several dozen women and kids to shoot, I can testify that they are generally easier to train.  Men tend to have the pre-conceived notion that they are genetically predisposed to be gunfighters, women don't have the testosterone poisoning problem.  I taught at the PD range for a lot of years, and the best shooters at the end of the first day were always the women, because they listened better.  Same with most kids.  Start them off up close with reactive targets, and watch them excel.  Shooting paper is pretty much useless, they need the instant feedback to reinforce the good habits, and let them know quickly when they're doing it wrong.  A friend of a friend asked me to teach her to shoot, she had never shot anything but a 22 rifle before.  A hundred mild 38's, then a box of +P's, then she wanted to try the hot 357's.  She shot a perfectly round 25 yard group, two-handed standing, that was about an inch and a half.  Then she looked at me, smiled, and asked, "Am I doing this okay?"   :shock:

I cried all the way home.  Either I'm a really good teacher, or she was better as a newby than I'd ever be, no matter how much I practiced.  Sometimes God has a very warped sense of humor.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
wife shooting
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »
I think I may have a "student" to teach her the sport of shooting.
Wish me luck all I have is a 30/30 that wont beat her to bad.
I knew I needed a 22 in something dang....
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
I've seen women do fairly well
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 04:28:05 PM »
but nearly all lack the motiviation/discipline to learn to do REALLY well. Of course, so do 99+% of men.  If it's just for fun, or even beginning training for serious defense, stick to the .22lr until she/he is very comfortable with it, to include clearing malfunctions, firing with either hand, using a light at night, etc. Then you can move on to the centerfires, with no wasted time or money.

They'll enjoy the .22, and get really good with it, much faster than if you start them with a centefire. So why waste the money, or the time retreiving fired cases, traveling to where a centerfire is ok to use, etc?  you can train them with BB and CB caps in the basement or garage, given a decent hunk of wood as a backstop and ear-protection for the CB's. AirSoft guns are a big help in realistic training, too.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline Dusty Miller

wife shooting
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 08:51:56 PM »
Just about now "wife shooting" seems like it'd be an enjoyable sport!! :grin:  Is there a season?  My guess it probably starts right after she spends thirty minutes ragging on the hubby for some trivial mularkey :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline uncle joe

wife shooting
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 12:46:11 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
With that subject line I just couldn't resisit.  :evil: made me do it.  :lol:

If you didn't, I probably would have. While I was a LEO, I worked with new recruits, it seems all the females shot low...X rated low.

Offline "TEXAS"

wife shooting
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 05:25:44 AM »
DANG! I thought we had a new hunting season about to open. Looks like wifezilla is safe again.

TEXAS
Handgun hunting is not about how far we can shoot or how powerful our gun is, it's about how well we can hunt!

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
wife shooting
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
wifezilla now thats a good one :)  :)
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

wife shooting
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 11:27:01 AM »
I don't see whats so surprising that women would be as good or better than men at shooting.

Men tend to have upper body strength and power for punching, and fighting - stuff like that.  I don't remember the last time I worked up a sweat while shooting.

Shooting is more like threading a needle.  Patient, tedious, hand-eye coordination.

That said, does anyone know if there is much difference between the top male shooters vs. the top females?  Can they compete on the same level?  I've heard it said the women tend to start out of the gate much better than men when it comes to shooting sports, but if motivated the men will surpass the women.  Any truth to that?
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
wife shooting
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 01:33:48 PM »
I don't think either gender has a real edge to be better, but the drive to compete is a powerful thing.  Men tend to be more aggressive in numerous ways, competition among them.  I agree most women are better out of the gate, but without that drive to be the best they are soon surpassed by their male counterparts.  

Having said that, I DO think men have an edge, in upper body strength.  Holding the weapon firmly is important to good shooting.  Case in point, I had a sergeant who absolutely HATED having to qualify, but his upper body was stronger than most folks, and he basically locked the gun into position, held it firmly, and shot great scores.  We tried to get other officers to copy his style, but they didn't have the musculature to do it the same way.  He had learned to turn his upper body into a Ranson rest, and once he was locked in, all he did was align the sights and gently press the trigger.  I've never seen anyone so averse to shooting, who was so good at it.  But he was an abherration!  

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

wife shooting
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »
Papajohn,

Your point is well taken.  I think another thing that might cause the affect many here are observing is the tendency towards ultralight guns.

Today's sporting arms are designed to be carried all day, not shot.  There was a day and an age when a man wouldn't think anything of carrying a 10 lb gun around all day.

Having been exposed to the world of traditionaly muzzle loaders I learned that those firesticks were meant to shoot and shoot offhand.  I've got a 10.5-pound flintlock that is real fun to shoot.  The length and weight make for a real steady hold.  Most guys I show it to are very impressed with how well they can hold it.  Unfortunately, like most newbies to flintlocks they are unaccustomed to the flash 6" from their face and miss the first shot or two.

The 10.5 pound gun isn't bad at all on the range.  And to be perfectly honest with you I don't have any trouble carrying it all day either.   I'm not built like Hercules, I'm not sure what it is it's just not as bad as gun-writers would have you believe.   Perhaps the 56-inch length is the key?  Because it is so long when I stop for a rest I'll set the butt on the ground relieving the weight.  Or perhaps the difference between a 10 pound gun and a 7 pound gun just isn't that big a deal.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline dcewolf

wife shooting
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »
Bought my wife a little Bersa .380 and took her to an outdoor range (dept of forestry in VA).  Anyway pistol range is set up at 30 yds, she wanted to try it.  Well she didn't group very well but I sure would not have wanted to be that sheet of paper  :shock:  and this was her first time shooting.  Since then she went and took a course to qualify for VA conceled carry, and took my Ruger MKIII for the class.  200+ rounds later she has now taken over my Ruger  :cry:

Oh well time to go shopping...