Author Topic: 460 S&W Magnum Potential  (Read 710 times)

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
460 S&W Magnum Potential
« on: May 19, 2006, 03:12:59 PM »
I finally got my Encore 460 S&W Mag. barrel and am working up loads for it.  Using Starline brass, Federal 210M primers, H110 and Hornady 200 gr. XTP HP bullets, I'm getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I would be interested in hearing of other's experience in the accuracy department in this chambering.  Also, if you have favorite loads, I'd like to hear about them as well.  I'll probably stick with 200 grain bullets for most things but would consider a heavier bullet if the accuracy potential is better.

By the way, I'm glad I got the muzzel brake option!!!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: 460 S&W Magnum Potential
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:46:52 AM »
Quote from: Grumulkin
I finally got my Encore 460 S&W Mag. barrel and am working up loads for it.  Using Starline brass, Federal 210M primers, H110 and Hornady 200 gr. XTP HP bullets, I'm getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I would be interested in hearing of other's experience in the accuracy department in this chambering.  Also, if you have favorite loads, I'd like to hear about them as well.  I'll probably stick with 200 grain bullets for most things but would consider a heavier bullet if the accuracy potential is better.

By the way, I'm glad I got the muzzel brake option!!!

I had a 460 mag Encore barrel. I sold it, but not because I could not get it to shoot, but I just did not see myself using it much. But I did shoot a lot of 240, 260 and 300 gr. bullets with great results out of it. I don't like the bullets below 240 gr. I like the heavier bullets in my 460 Mags. I still have 4 of the S&W 460 mags that I still shoot.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline gunoil

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
460 S&W Magnum Potential
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:27:45 PM »
:D how is the recoil with the muzzle brake??? compare to a 44mag with out a brake...  shot the 44 sunday... killed a hog with it about 3years ago...looking to get a new barrel fore the encore....the 500mag comes with a brake ...kind of dumb on t.c part not to put one on the 460!!!!   thanks worm :eek:  :blaster:
WORM

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
460 S&W Magnum Potential
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »
I've shot TC Encore 460 S&W Magnums with and without brakes.  The brake definitely makes it better.  I would say that with the brake, the perceived recoil is still more than the 44 Magnum without a brake but not a whole lot more.  When I'm going to be shooting it quite a bit, I wear a weight lifter's glove on my right hand since I like to keep the skin between my thumb and index finger intact.

Offline hutch

• Trade Count: (0)
460 S&W Magnum Potential
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »
When I was going to get a T/C custom barrel before I knew that they where going to have them as a standard barrel. I asked if they could make the barrel and they said yes as long as I used heavy bullets in it.

Hutch