Author Topic: hastings compensator turkey or moss. xx-full ported choke?  (Read 847 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
hastings compensator turkey or moss. xx-full ported choke?
« on: June 03, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »
I'm wondering what the quality difference is, if any, and which one you think reduces recoil the best. how about experience with patterns with them? Thanks or any help! :D

Offline trky chsr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:48:33 PM »
I'm not sure which Hastings choke you are referring to but I use a Hastings X-full ported in my turkey gun (NEF 10ga) and it shoots great patterns with Win HV #4s. No difference in recoil that I can tell. TC

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »
is that porting of the round hole, or vertical oval variety?

Offline trky chsr

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »
Verticle/oval (slots) style. TC

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:08:11 PM »
chokes are over-rated.  Not in the sense that a full isn't tighter than a modified, but in the sense that one company's turkey choke is vastly different than another.  If you're turkey hunting buy a superfull and go hunt.  

Much like duck hunters who spend hours "patterning" their guns and "testing" different loads, any turkey hunter would be much better off to take that time and practice calling, go scouting, or any number of things that will increase your chances of killing something much more than playing with various identical pieces of steel.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 04:22:11 AM »
dukkillr, I agree with you about the patterning, but Quality and amount of recoil reduction are my main concern.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 04:46:25 AM »
I think what dukillr is saying( and I tend to agree) is that there is not a wooden nickles worth of  difference between the major choke manufacturers not only in patters but in quality and recoil reduction.  I use a H.S. Strut UnderTaker extended but non ported choke tube and I have to tell ya that I barely notice the recoil or report when shooting at a bird. So just pick one and concentrate on the other aspects of turkey hunting such as scouting and calling.  If your hunting in the wrong place or your calls sound like a strangled cat it don't make any difference what choke your using.  :wink:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 06:40:02 AM »
ding ding ding

I sometimes make a foray onto public hunting areas during the duck season.  You can pick out the guy who cares about his choke from across the lake.  He'll be in the wrong spot, wailing away (blowing) on a double-reeded Wal-Mart special with no scratch, terrible cadence, and no idea how to respond to ducks.  Then he'll stand up and unload his 3 1/2" mossberg (or maybe a 3 1/2" 1200) at 60 yards, probably at bluebills, and when nothing falls he'll blame it on a)shot size or b)choke.

I've guided waterfowl and turkey hunters for years.  I've hunted with state and National Calling champions.  I've hunted with competetive shooters.  Most of those guys are real killers.  I have never heard a single one of them talk about their choke.  For waterfowl I put a modified in and forget about it.  For turkeys I put a super full in and forget about it.  So many other things have more impact on your hunt.  Hell my favorite duck/pheasant/quail/dove gun has (*gasp*) a fixed modified choke.  

I've got 2 turkey guns I use regularly, an 870 and Super Black Eagle 2.  The SBE is for people who fly in and can't bring a gun, or family and friends to use.  It has a ported super full choke in it.  The 870 is my turkey gun, and it has a non-ported super full in it.  Patterns?  Couldn't tell the difference.  Recoil?  Couldn't tell the difference.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 03:51:13 PM »
That sheds a lot of light on the subject for me, and I thank you both.  All Iv'e ever bird hunted (grouse dove woodcock duck) and rabbit and squirrl with is my trusty old pardner, with a fixed mod. choke.  Only after northern (very northern)WI finally got a turkey population big enough to hunt, (This year) did I decide I needed something different.  Never touched a removeable choke before now, and thats why the question was poasted. And the answer makes life a lot simpler for me. Although I was really hopeing for some recoil reduction.

I pondered the thought of using the old pardner for turkeys, but decided this was a good excuse for a new gun.  :D

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 05:42:30 PM »
Good luck.  Turkey hunting is very addictive.

Offline trky chsr

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 02:31:09 AM »
I agree with most of what dukkilr posted except for the "forget about it" part. You still need to find out what shot size shoots best out of that choke. I have found a big difference in patterns with different shot sizes out of the same choke. TC