Author Topic: Clays powder and cast bullets  (Read 553 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Clays powder and cast bullets
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:00:41 AM »
I've been shooting a load of Clays out of my 45LC with 250gr cast bullets. It has very little recoil and is pretty accurate.

My question is this...Have any of ya'll tried Clays and cast out of a 44Mag? I was looking in the manual by Richard Lee and there were listings for this powder with a lot of different cast bullets. Just wanted some real life experiences  before I tried it. I haven't been able to get to any of our local Cowboy Shooters to ask their advice just yet.

HWD

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Clays powder and cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
Clays does the same thing that Bullseye does, application wise. I have shot lots of it in the 44 mag, usually around 6.0 gr. for a 215 gr. bullet. It works fine, though I like Titegroup better. Haven't tried Trail Boss yet, but I suspect it would be even better still.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Clays powder and cast bullets
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 04:02:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply,
I'm trying to cut down on all the extra cans of powder. It'd be nice to have one that you can load a couple of different calibers with. I think with Clays,296 and Unique ,I can shoot up some of the other stuff and not have to replace them. With the amounts I've been shooting recently,I may be buying 4lb cans next time around.
Over the years, I've whittled my rifle powders down to 4 different kinds.
HWD