Author Topic: Antelope question  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Rummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Antelope question
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:21:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am recent transplant from the east coast to Reno, NV.  Driving home from work the past couple of days I have seen the same lone antelope in a field.

Is it normal for them to travel alone?
What time of year do they fawn/calve?

I was always under the impression that they were herd animals and that they stayed away from people.  This one was only about your 100 yds from somebody's house.

Rummer

Offline Demonical

• Avid Poster
Antelope question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:42:26 AM »
How do you know it's the same one!?  :wink:

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Antelope question
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 05:45:39 AM »
Rummer,

It's not unusual for a buck to be a loner outside of the breeding season.

Offline Siskiyou

Antelope question
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »
At different times I have seen lone buck antelope on my trips across Nevada and Utah.  It appears to be more common in those areas.  I wonder if it is the results of the harsh enviroment.   In the same area I spotted a jack rabbit carrying a canteen. :-)  In other areas I might spot a lone antelope but there are groups of does, and fawns not far away.  Spotted loners off I-80 near Rye Patch Res.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Siskiyou

Antelope question
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 06:12:18 PM »
At different times I have seen lone buck antelope on my trips across Nevada and Utah.  It appears to be more common in those areas.  I wonder if it is the results of the harsh enviroment.   In the same area I spotted a jack rabbit carrying a canteen. :-)  In other areas I might spot a lone antelope but there are groups of does, and fawns not far away.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Siskiyou

Antelope question
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 06:14:34 PM »
At different times I have seen lone buck antelope on my trips across Nevada and Utah.  It appears to be more common in those areas.  I wonder if it is the results of the harsh enviroment.   In the same area I spotted a jack rabbit carrying a canteen. :-)  In other areas I might spot a lone antelope but there are groups of dos, and fawns not far away.

Offline Siskiyou

Antelope question
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »
At different times I have seen lone buck antelope on my trips across Nevada and Utah.  It appears to be more common in those areas.  I wonder if it is the results of the harsh enviroment.   In the same area I spotted a jack rabbit carrying a canteen. :-)  In other areas I might spot a lone antelope but there are groups of does, and fawns not far away.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Antelope question
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:18:03 AM »
Siskiyou,   we're going to have to work on that stutter. :)

Offline Siskiyou

Antelope question
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:20:07 AM »
For some reason I am not getting the delete option.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Antelope question
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »
I lived in northern Arizona for a while, and we would routinely see them, sometimes just one, and some times just 2 or 3, but not always together.  The closest we got was to a group of six, we were driving through the woods, saw them, and they were down an adjacent road about 75 yards, just sat there and looked, only ran when we turned towards them.  When they ran, they ran to about 50 yards off the road and watched us drive by.

I think the strangest thing I've seen with animals of that relation was a herd of about 25 moose, the wierdest thing i've ever seen in my life in alaska.  They are definitely not herding animals.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Antelope question
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 02:58:45 AM »
A few years ago I saw a  lone 13-14" buck two days in a row walking up and down a fence next to a highway.  This was during antelope season and I'm sure numerous hunters saw him.   It gave me a good feeling to know I was hunting in an area with ethical hunters that wouldn't shoot from the road.  I hope he grew to be 15" but he probably wouldn't enhance the survivability of the species.