Author Topic: Cannon Hunting! Well, sort of.  (Read 786 times)

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cannon Hunting! Well, sort of.
« on: June 18, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
We found this Guy in the presidio at the south end of the Golden Gate bridge.
The only info there was that it had been removed from a San Francisco school with the permission of the board (do you suppose some kid brought it for show&tell? :grin: ) but no history at all.
Note the full can of cannon grade for scale!(thanks Bob!)
It sits about a mile from the emplacements which guarded San Francisco bay.

Dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:21:55 AM »
Dave, thanks for posting those two pix.  They were great also thanks for remembering the powder can for scale.  I'll have to get a picture of a nice looking OLD brass tube down in the Raton,NM city park.  That one, if I recall, is on a plain old concrete display base and has dolphin handles on it and yes, I'll make sure to remember the powder can - me of all people!   :) Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:27:34 AM »
I'm back from Atlanta with a bunch of cannon pix.  There are so many that I set up a series of pages to spread the downloading out.

The Cannon of Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 10:53:55 PM »
Quote from: GGaskill
I'm back from Atlanta with a bunch of cannon pix.  There are so many that I set up a series of pages to spread the downloading out.

http://68.190.219.22:443/kennesawmtn/kennesawmtncannon.htm" target="_blank">The Cannon of Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park.

I was there a couple of years ago. I even bought a T-shirt at the shop :grin: I have some very similar pics to yours. That must have been a hell of a battle. I understand they were so close at times that they were actually throwing rocks.

I like to visit old graveyards. I took this pic at one near the Kennesaw battlefield. Notice the yellow sign...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline claypipe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Http://www.handgonne.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »
Looks like a memorial to someone's bad day.