Author Topic: Springfield XD / Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite  (Read 536 times)

Offline jmet2

• Trade Count: (0)
Springfield XD / Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:38:59 AM »
Looked at an XD 9mm today at my local gun shop. Any opinions would be appreciated. Also, I have a Taurus Ultra-Lite 85 38 spl that I continue to have a problem with, the firing pin does not always strike the primer hard enough to fire the round. When I run the round through on the second time it fires. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance.....

Offline aaronrkelly

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:30:28 PM »
I have an XD9 Service model (4") that has been great.  The most common complaint is the finish, I havent had that trouble.

The XD is my preference over Glock for only 1 reason, the grip angle and the grip safety give me that familiar 1911 feel.  I dont think it shoots any better or is any safer then a Glock, I like it just cause it feels more comfortable.

As to your Taurus problems Im guessing weak spring.....could be wrong though.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Bought a XD 45 5" today.  Agree with aaronrkelly, grip just feels right.  Feels more substanitial than the Glock.  After I fire it this weekend I will know more.  

Seems like I am starting an 45 ACP collection.  Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:30:30 AM »
I must agree with the last two responses!  I have an XD .45 5" tac. and it just feels good and shoots even better.  I also have a glock 19 (9mm) and 23 (.40sw) they are great pistols also.  All in all the XD just feels and shoot better.  It does have that familiar 1911 feel to it, guess thats why it is so natural!!  I have also had the oppertunity to shoot an XD in .40 sw cal. 4" model, another good one.  In my opinion you can't go wrong with the XD.

Tbull
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D

Offline dcewolf

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:51:11 AM »
I've owned a 9mm XDSC for about 2 months now and love it.  I had read alot of complaints about finish/rust before purchasing but the XDs just fit my hand better than a Glock, plus Im a bit of a tight wad so the savings from the XD was a plus.  Anyway I have had no problems with the finish, and the gun travels with me all the time.  No complaints at all....  :grin:

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 01:43:02 PM »
Don't know about the XD, but I do have a Taurus Mod. 85 Ultralite. I don't shoot it a lot, probably have 250 rounds through it, but have never had a problem with it shooting either double or single action. Sounds like it could be the spring, but I'm not a gunsmith either.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
I like my XD, used to have a Taurus Model 85.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:48:21 AM »
I bought the Springfield XD compact in 9 mm 3 years ago, nice gun, reliable.  The finish has never caused a problem, gun looks like new, seems tough to me.  I like the fact that the XD has a nicer trigger than the Glock, and it is cheaper too.

I used to own a Taurus Model 85 in stainless steel, 2" barrel.  The revolver was reliable, accurate, and pointed well.  But, like many Taurus guns it was made of soft steel, you could see how the cylinder lockup pin was causing excessive wear on the frame backing plate when opening/closing the cylinder, despite being well greased!  The timing was slightly off on 2 cylinders, same problem with my Model 94 Taurus too, in regards to the timing issue.  Bought 4 Taurus guns in 1997, they shot well, but traded them all off for other brands, good move on my part.