Author Topic: PPK in 9mm Parabellum.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Sir Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« on: June 08, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »
If Rohrbaugh can produce a gun chambered in 9mm Parabellum that is smaller than the PPK ...

... why doesn't Walther/S&W redesign the PPK in that (9mm Parabellum) caliber?
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Old Griz

PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:54:04 PM »
:cb2: I heard the PPK wasn't exactly fun to shoot in .380. Maybe no one wants one in 9mm!  :eek:  :)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 01:52:24 AM »
The first 9mm Parabellum pistol Walther made was an oversized PP, and that wasn't fun to shoot either.  Mikey.

Offline RedneckRepairs

PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 03:31:50 AM »
Now i love my ppk/s  but its an antiqued blow back design that has a limited  market in .380  imho it would have almost no market if they redesigned to 9mm and as stated  other smaller and lighter 9mms are out there allready .

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 01:59:07 AM »
I would sure like to know how much of an improvement you get out of a 1.5" 9mm barrel over a 3" 380 barrel.......  I believe the last I read the ballistics were almost not worth going to a 9mm that small - I'm sure some folks will say 'ya ya', get the 9, it's much better but I seem to recall the same hype whem S&W came out with a 9mm snubnosed revolver.

So, actually, what do you get from a 1.5" 9mm barrel firing 115 gn ball over the old, antiquated direct blowback 380 with a 3" barrel?????  I would just like to know.  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 01:04:45 AM »
I tend to agree with Mikey.
I went thru a brief fever, recently, looking at a Kahr pocket model in 9MM with the same thoughts----THEN----I did a little search here, and a couple of other places. You know, looking thru the archives, and could not determine enough significant advantage to do so.
The .380 that I carry is a PPK and I like it, however; it is marginal in its application, I would admit.
The 9MM in the same size does not offer enough tactical advantage to spend the money on--IMO.
The PPK has been reliable, for me, for 40 years. It spits out the lint when I shoot it at the range and rides in the console and my pocket very well.

Now I will admit to having one of several other flavors and topping in the console with it as a primary source of protection while in the truck. I may even have a hideout weapon in there somewhere also--it has been so long since I looked and I suffer from CRS. :shock:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 01:38:48 AM »
... why doesn't Walther/S&W redesign the PPK in that (9mm Parabellum) caliber?

The Walther is a blowback design. In order to keep the pistol the same size and chamber for the 9mm round, the locking system would have to be redesigned. A blowback design uses the mass of the slide and the resistance of the recoil spring to handle the recoil-------ie: Hi-point.
My pocket gun is a Kel Tec .380. Very small and light for the caliber. It has less felt recoil than the PPK in my opinion. Largely due to the locked breech action. I am fond of the PPK and could get on quite well with one if the Kel Tec was not available.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Old Griz

PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 08:33:55 AM »
:cb2: I don't have a PPK, but I have to admit they are one of the best looking guns ever designed. Definately cool.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
PPK in 9mm Parabellum.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
That's why the East Europeans went with the 9x18!