Author Topic: hold left or right handed  (Read 462 times)

Offline Myerslake2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
hold left or right handed
« on: June 13, 2006, 02:26:09 AM »
I'm a right hand dominant  but have a very dominant left eye so I hold my rifles and shotguns left handed.  I have an Encore with a Burris 1.5-4 scope and am wondering what hand I should hold it with when I shoot?  I know I will be looking down the scope with my left eye.

THanks,  Brent

Offline mugs

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:58:25 AM »
My wife is right handed left eye dominate. She shoots rifle/shotgun left handed. We compete in IHMSA/NRA Silhouette. She shoots all guns in creedmore left handed, and all standing, scope or iron sights right handed.
Works good for her.
Mugs

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:29 PM »
I have the same problem. I learned to shoot right handed and that is how I shoot. I think this is why I am better with pistol than rifle. It really doesn't matter which hand you hold a pistol with, you just bring the sight to the dominate eye.. On rifles, I lean over far enough to get my left eye on the scope. The only shotguns I shoot well are the old humpback Brownings. There is enough rise there that I can use my left eye. I probably should have learned to shoot left handed, but I won't change now.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline Gavinator

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Hold
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:19:10 PM »
This one is easy, hold the pistol in your shooting hand and let your dominant eye take over without thinking about it, if you think about it you'll screw-up that shot.
 Think about squeezing the trigger cleanly around it's pivot point, not which eye you're using.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Hold
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:11:54 AM »
Quote from: Gavinator
This one is easy, hold the pistol in your shooting hand and let your dominant eye take over without thinking about it, if you think about it you'll screw-up that shot.
 Think about squeezing the trigger cleanly around it's pivot point, not which eye you're using.

Good point.  I am right-handed and was right eye dominant until eye surgery left some scar tissue behind that made it impossible to shoot. :x   So, for long guns I did learn to shoot left-handed, but handguns/pistols are still in my right hand.  If you keep both eyes open the weapon will naturally drift to the dominant, or in my case, the available eye.  If you let your body take over it is a very easy transition - I was surprised.  I had been shooting the traditional way for about 28 years so it can be done.

Good luck!

Chuck :cb1:

Zero

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:25:56 PM »
I also have this problem,but I solved it by
learning how to shoot with both eyes open
That`s with handguns/rifles..scopes or open
sights.....It takes a little practice but you
can get it..It looks funny at first, and then
you wonder WHAT took you so long to figure
that out.......Have fun... :D

Offline Myerslake2005

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 04:13:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply's.  Right hand it is and it shouldn't be a problem with both eyes open since I am extremely left eye dominant.

Brent