Author Topic: M&P Concealed Carry  (Read 1216 times)

Offline blittle2003

• Trade Count: (0)
M&P Concealed Carry
« on: August 03, 2006, 06:47:02 PM »
I just purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P pistol.  While I do not intend to carry it any time soon, the lack of an external hammer or safety is a new issue for me.  Prior to this I have only shot revolvers.  Is there a safe way to carry this pistol without endangering yourself.  The only safety that I have found is the one built into the trigger and this just doesn't seem like enough of a safety when a live round is in the chamber.  Would I be better off carrying the gun with an empty chamber if I decided to carry it, or am I just being paranoid about something that is safe?  Thank you so much for your input. 

Offline Savage

Re: M&P Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:29:33 AM »
You are not alone! Many of us had the same concerns with the Glock pistols. Just remember that there is no mechanial device that can make the gun safe. That's a job for the operator! Keep your finger, (or anything else) out of the trigger guard when you do not want the gun to fire. I frequently carry Glocks these days without any undue concern. Think of the M&P as a fairly light pull DA revolver.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline blittle2003

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:57:56 AM »
Thank you for your input.  After reading your reply and some other articles on the internet, I guess that it is no different than carrying a DA/SA semi-auto with a live round in the chamber.  Just because the hammer isn't visible doesn't mean that it is the same thing happening inside the gun.  Now I just need to spend some time with my pistol and familiarize myself with it till I am more comfortable with it.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:39:15 AM »
I used to have the same concern about carrying my Glock 23 charged up and ready to go.  After spending two weeks on the range with my Glock 22 and firing approximately 2000 rounds in that time I am totally comfortable carrying a handgun that is ready to roll. 
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline DPHunter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 02:42:47 AM »
That M&P safety problem does sound a lot like the Glock.  I carry a Glock 21 .45 ACP.  I always keep a full clip, but never one chambered for fear of the gun discharging.  I love the glock, but safety is a concern with it.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
but never one chambered for fear of the gun discharging.

then why carry it. it makes no sense to me that you are  scared by your guns lack of so called mech saftey if you have not  shot and carried your gun that much  then get to it  and get over your  fear of it going off! as long as you as a proper holster and  dont have your finger on the trigger then  whats the issue! the issue is lack of training?  or just mindset! and by the way it is a magazine not a CLIP.

and what do you entended to do when confronted with a life or death situation and you need your gun! so i gather you can draw chamber around and get 2 hits com in under 2 seconds maybe 3.

get another gun or carry it chambered .

might sound harsh  but so is the world, so is saving your life and  that of those who love you and vice versa........... Sack up get over it and carry it as it is inteneded to be

Offline DPHunter

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
I'm not concerned with confrontation.  I'm also very comfortable with the gun. I should be joining a police department here near where I live soon and will be forced to carry one chambered.  Glock is the only way to go regardless of the saftey.  It doesn't take a big set of nuts to keep your gun chambered, but it is a good idea to use your brain every once in a while.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 04:27:29 PM »
I'm not concerned with confrontation. why not?

I'm also very comfortable with the gun

You make no sense.then why not carry it as it was made to be?

soon and will be forced to carry one chambered.

Why forced you stil lindicate that your scared to do so?

good idea to use your brain every once in a while

then do so.  and carry a round chambered!  as it should be. i  had a  partner like that once from amother  dept on tdy to us he lasted 15 minutes with me before i drove him  back to the dept  and left him at mommies house.  his reason  well in case of gun grab! i love FNG's

Offline DPHunter

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 02:10:29 AM »
OK you give good points.  Considering the fact you deal with people everyday in law enforcement, being prepared for battle is second nature for you.  I'll try your method.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 03:07:37 AM »
For those who are concerned that the newer trigger mechanisms of the da only pistols fail to offer a 'proper' safety that the operator can visualize and engage please understand that the millions of dollars of research and development that went into the design of these mechanisms dealt with everything except the mental factor of people who fail to learn about the proper operation of their handguns before purchase.  This amazes me and I rarely, very rarely understand either the 'how or the why' people do this, but they do.

It does not matter if it is a da only pistol, a da only revolver, a sa/da pistol or whatever - you have to learn about the darn thing before you purchase it.  Your wife might buy a new car because she likes the color and then gripe about it because it didn't come with child safety seats but she should have read up on it first.  Same with guns and they kill fewer people each year than cars do. 

It has also been determined that your chances of surviving a close encounter by not having a round chambered in your pistol and the pistol immediately (1.5 sec for trained individuals) able to discharge a round, will get you killed - as one poster replied:  then why carry it. 

You need to learn about that firearm and how to carry it safely and use it properly.  If you don't have the necessary information  or training then go back to the gunshop where you bought it from and get the info from them.  If you need training then I would strongly suggest you befriend or aquaint yourself with someone who already has one, or possibly even the local police and let them teach you how to carry it and use it properly.

You have a number of responsibilities to yourself and your community when you elect to own and carry a concealed weapon and one of those is to know how to properly use it so that, God forbid, you do not allow it to fall into the hands of the criminal element you purchased the gun to defend yourself from in the first place. 

You elected to enjoy your right to own a firearm, now follow through with your responsibility to learn how to use it properly.  Mikey.