Author Topic: what do you guys think of this bullet?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
what do you guys think of this bullet?
« on: June 12, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »
http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ProductID=10&Quantity=1

How well do you guys think this design would work for long range acuracy?  I like the idea of not having to swab the bore every 3-5 shots, but will the big groves cause a problem with acuracy out to 1000 meters?  I am not serious, just like to play around once in a while, but with a 34" barrel fouling can be a bit of a problem, though not a real big one.  I'm curently using a lee pointed design, with 75 grains of Swiss 2f, and get good acuracy, but it starts droping fast if I don't run a bore snake through it every 5 shots.

I very rarely get to shoot 1000 yards, most of my shooting is informal plinking at 2-300 meters.

Thanks
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline ShortStake

• Avid Poster
The Big Lube Bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 11:20:20 PM »
Will52100,

After fiddling with the link you provided managed to come up with a part number of DD-500MkII for a .45 Caliber bullet with two very wide grease grooves and a very pointed nose.  www.biglube.com

First knee jerk reaction to this bullet design would be that the pointy nose will detract from the desired outcome of/for distance shooting.

The Lyman Spire Pointed 459658CV is seldom seen on Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette ranges.  After having purchased this Lyman 459658CV mould and utilized the cast bullets from it, the end result is far outdistanced by cast bullets from Lyman mould 459132CV which basically repllicate the nose cone of a NASA Liftoff rocket.

The bullet designs that seem to be working the best are either round nosed or NASA nose cone designs.  The Lyman .45 caliber Postell and the Lyman .40 caliber Snover for .40 caliber cast bullets are both great starting points in bullet designs.  The old Government Round Nose bullet is also a great performer in .45 caliber.

No free rides when it comes to bullet designs.  Pointed design bullets are great for high speed smokeless loads, but seldom make the transistion to the lower fps velocities of our BPC Rifles.

Simple way to look at big bullets and how well they are liable to perform at our utilized velocities ........... think NASA nose cone design!

Hope this is of some help..
RIP Howard (Shortstake) Staub died 5/7/2008 at 4:30 P.M. Las Cruces time. Howard succumbed to glioblastoma cancer.

From the Land of Enchantment

ShortStake

Offline Ray Newman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:28:44 AM »
ShortStake covered all the bases in his response.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 06:57:26 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm using a pointed design now, well it's more of a round with a bit of a point instead of a spitzer type design, and get good accuracy.  I've tried the round nose bullets and postals, but keep coming back to the pointed.  May be just wishfull thinking on my part.

I may contact them and see if I can get a sample and load a few up, I realy don't have the extra money for a mould I'm not pretty sure of.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
bullet design
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:58:38 AM »
As stated well above, the bullet isn't traveling fast enough for it to be piling air up in front.  A point like that isn't the advantage n would thing.

I don't like the grooves.  Too deep and not enough of them.   IMO Both the bullet nose and the grooves around the bullet should pretty closely match the diameter between the lands of the bore.  The area between the bullet grooves should have as much surface as possible matching the diameter of the barrel grooves.     My reasoning:  The bullet nose, like the long round one on a 457125 should ride the lands and keep the bulet centered.   The area between the bullet grooves should be bore diameter, to seal from blow by and capture as much pressure as possible behind the bullet.   The lube in the bullet grooves, should be under pressure from the bullet being pushed into the bore, some volumne of that space being taken up by the lands, forcing a spread of a very thin layer of grease out around the bullet as it travels down the bore.   This thin layer should act both as a lube and a gasket against blow by.

If the space of the grooves around the bullet is too deep, it leaves the potential for a soft lead bullet to compress length wise or even to twist and get out of balance.  Whether this would happen is just my theory.  

I realize I may not have used techically correct terms in describing this,but I think you get the idea.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 07:44:42 PM »
Thanks, only thing is is trying to figure out a way to get more lube in the barrel without lube cookies.  I shoot CASS when I can and have found I love to PRS bullets for my Henry.  First shot or 200th shot fouling in the bore is the same.  They carry a ton of lube.  Of course the farthest I've shot the Henry is 200 meters, but I could ring the steels no problem.  That's with 45 colt, 250 grain PRS bullet, and 38 grains of 3F Graf's black powder.
www.courtneyknives.com