Author Topic: Cold Case Files TV Show  (Read 611 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
Cold Case Files TV Show
« on: June 11, 2006, 11:10:21 AM »
Maybe I'm just late jumping on the bandwagon with this one, but I did a search on these forums and found no reference to this particular subject.

Now I am generally more than tolerant of the opinion of others and will defend their right to disagree with me.  However, last night I watched the TV show "Cold Case Files" and was discouraged by what I saw.  I have only seen this show a few times so if they have a political agenda they are putting forth I am unaware of it.  

The story centered around the finding of a semi-auto machine pistol and the tracing through its history to identify previous owners.  The gun was used to commit a murder shortly after its manufacture and the thrust of the story was to find out who owned the gun when the murder was committed.  So far, so good.  As part of the story they identify a dealer who sold the gun at a local gun show many years after its manufacture.  They portrayed the gun dealer in a extremely negative way and essentially made the gun show attendees look like a pack of wackos.  

As if that was not enough, they visited the factory where the gun was made and portrayed the management there in an equally negative light.  The plant manager was portrayed as one who is comparable to the sleaziest used car salesman you've ever seen.  Their older production and sales records supposedly reside in file cabinets that have papers disorganized and sticking out.  The cabinets are located in a dark corner of the building with some of the drawers partly open and giving the clear implication that no one is charge of organizing and cataloging the files.  

The overall impression they created was that everyone involved in the life of this gun, from the manufacturer, to the dealers, to all the owners over the years of it's existance, were inept, uneducated, sleazy, and uncaring individuals.  Perhaps the producers were comfortable with this depiction because the gun in the story is considered an "assault gun" and the legislation banning assault guns had recently gone without renewal.  In my mind however, their ability in the future to substitute the assault gun for a .22 caliber target gun is a short trip.  Prior to this I generally thought that the anti-gun bias mentioned in the TV and film industry by some observers was overblown; now I am beginning to wonder.

JR

Offline Questor

Cold Case Files TV Show
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:37:25 AM »
I was actually present when a BBC radio person was doing an interview at a Minnesota gun shop. It was a lengthy process resembling a social call. However, the tape was always recording and I'm sure they only used the least flattering things. The BBC speaker was occasionally interjecting some accusatory observations occasionally and followed by some more flattering things. The effect was that the proprietors were never on their guard.
Safety first

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Cold Case Files TV Show
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »
I am not in the least surprised by the 'anti' sentiments and tones in Cold Case Files, or any other product of the television industry... this applies to the entire spectrum of mainstream mass media.

Note the adjective 'mainstream'. This is in fact the key to understanding much of this phenomenon. It is but another facet of the 'culture of fear' which is an integral part of mainstream society today: guns are dangerous, ergo they should be eliminated as ALL sources of danger should be. Any person who would have anything to do with them has to be a totally irresponsible nut case, or worse!

The underlying concept is that we are all helpless victims-in-waiting without some more knowing entity looking out for us, protecting us from all these dangers we, as poor innocents, would harm ourselves or others with if not for the regulation of such perilous items and activities by our 'protectors'.

The signs of this several decades old trend are everywhere... seat belt mandates, motorcycle and bicycle helmet laws, animal leash laws, etc, etc,etc....

Again, the term to keep in mind is MAINSTREAM. This crap is not some oddity from out of left field, it is the mindset of the majority of society, don't doubt it for a moment. Living in the northeast I am reminded of it daily, as almost every aspect of my makeup, hobbies, interests, politics, etc. is out of synch with the usual behavior and attitudes of my neighbors, co-workers and others. Other areas of the country may not manifest this delusion as overtly as some, but I'm convinced that is only due to the alarmists being a silent majority in those locales.

The day of each person being responsible for their own safety, and that of those immediately around them has passed...irresponsible, dangerous behavior is now only a sign of the increased need for big brother to protect us from our naive selves.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Cold Case Files TV Show
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
It is sad, for many, especially fence sitters, that their impression of America is as seen on TV.  What other form of mass communication reaches so many Americans instantaneuosly and through which Media attempts to CONTROL mindset?  

There is no POINT / COUNTER POINT.  There is no TRUTH.  There is their side, their view, their idology, their dogma, their fingerpointing, their mantra, their constant drivel, which for some is truth.  If something is falsely said enough times, falsely written without the venue of exposing the truth, corrupted in the minds of the masses sufficiently, sooner than later that "view" of reality becomes the reality.

I would urge my fellow readers to view the movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington in which actor Jimmy Stewart portrays a naive junior Senator in the realm of hardball Washington politics.  The media "machine", run by a wealthy and influential politically corrupt activist, is turned on full in an attempt to stifle the truth, which nearly succeeds.  Good classic television and as legitimate a portrayal of politics, Washington, and the Media now as then.

I changed my annual NRA Membership to LIFE in support of our right, and the right of my children's children for seven future generations and longer to pursue Happiness.  It is essential that lawful and legitimate gun use, the Truth, prevails.

Land Owner
If it was easy, anybody could do it!

Offline Shorty

Cold Case Files TV Show
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 01:58:15 PM »
I like NCIS.  Especially the episodes that take the team anywhere in Virginia an hour away from their HQ.  All of the locals are portrayed as Hatfield/ McCoy/ Jed Clampet types, who hang out in bars, hunt deer or bear and are suspicious of those Yankee outsiders.  What a hoot! :shock:  :wink:

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Cold Case Files TV Show
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:56:10 AM »
That's why I stopped watching crap like law and order, cold case files or csi - bunch of politicing agendas and pure crap.  Mikey.

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Cold Case Files TV Show
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 11:08:55 AM »
jrdudas, you said this was about an episode of "Cold Case Files", right? :?
I think I got the wrong idea about all this, but no one seems to have picked up on it, including me till just this moment.

I think what you're talking about is an episode of "Cold Case", a fictional, drama series appearing on one of the major, over the air networks, no?

"Cold Case Files" is a DOCUMENTARY series appearing on A&E which follows the course of real detective efforts to solve real crimes which have gone cold... no writers, no actors, actual documentation of events. It is one of my favorite TV programs, as is "Forensic Files" and "Body Of Evidence" which appear on Court TV, and "The New Detectives" appearing on Discovery (re-ennacted, but still not bad). "48 Hours" on A&E is a good one also.

Quote from: Mikey
That's why I stopped watching crap like law and order, cold case "files"?(Hammerspur) or csi - bunch of politicing agendas and pure crap.  Mikey.

Mikey, I couldn't agree more! :x That's why I NEVER watch ANY series television...no dramas, no comedies, NEVER! I'm not exagerating about this either. I have absolutely no interest in watching 'stories' about other peoples lives, I'm not interested in anyone else's life, especially a fictionalized one dreamed up for the purpose, at least partly, of pontificating someone else's agenda like some G.D. preacher... I don't patronize any of those hucksters either!

Outside of that, I stand by the statements in my first post.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!