Author Topic: 45-70 pointed bullet???  (Read 481 times)

Offline con10der309

• Trade Count: (1)
  • HOMELAND SECURITY BEGINS AT HOME!!!!
45-70 pointed bullet???
« on: July 17, 2006, 04:34:40 PM »
 i was wondering if anyone knows of a pointed bullet to shoot from my 12" contender?i was looking at the barnes book and i noticed they have 2 bullets listed in the 458 diameter but they are listed as being for the 458 win.this is a barnes x bullet would this be safe to shoot from the 45-70?would i get enough expansion at the contender velocities? if this is not a viable option please throw any and all info you may have on this subject,and i most certainly will appreciate it.if no info on a viable pointed bullet what do you use in your contenders..ok fellas thanks in advance for any and all info you maty wish to share..jim.
We shall rise up on the wings of eagles,and the gates of hell shall not defeat us!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: 45-70 pointed bullet???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »
See if you can find the Barnes originals in 300 or 400 gr. they are the 45-70 SSP. The SSP's are made for the single shot pistols.  I have shot the 458 pointed bullets in my 45-70, but they were in my Ruger #1.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Doc T

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
Re: 45-70 pointed bullet???
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:37:46 AM »
     Try www.hawkbullets.com  I bought some spitzer bullets for my 444 Marlin. They have them in .458 as well.