Author Topic: Scope & mount question  (Read 613 times)

Offline The Sodbuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scope & mount question
« on: June 10, 2006, 06:09:48 AM »
I have a Savage 110 package gun I got some time ago that came with a Simmons 8-pt 3-9X40mm scope.  I was thinking of upgrading the scope and replacing the existing Weaver-style base & mounts.  I have 2 questions:

On other rifles, I've normally gone with a 1 piece, standard base.  Is this the best solution?  What are the advanatages of Weaver-style bases?  I see picatinny bases & rings cost considerably more.  Are they worth the cost?  What do benchrest and other accuracy-obsessed shooters use?

Regarding a new scope; I'd like to stick with the 3-9 or 4-12 power range.  40mm objective is fine.  Really don't want to spend more than $300.  The only "pricey" scope I own is a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40mm that I'm pretty pleased with.  But I'm open to other manufacturers too.

Offline Mike357mag

• Avid Poster
Nikon scope leupold base and rings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:55:11 AM »
I like the Nikon buckmasters, seam as clear or maybe a little better than a leupold varix II.  I have allways had good luck with the leupold bases one piece or two.  Stay away from the leupold rifleman series it is junk includeing the rings.

Mike H

Offline bluebayou

Scope & mount question
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:04:09 PM »
In my opinion, Weaver style bases are the only way to go.  There isn't any twisting to install a scope.  I have never figured out how Conetrol style bases (whatever you want to call them) stayed popular so long.  Why would twisting the rings on be a good thing?  Weaver style bases bolt on and that is about it.  Yeah, you could lap the base and all that jazz.  Anyway, what I like about the Weaver bases is that I can remove the scope at anytime and be approximately at zero when I reinstall the scope.  I am not competing or making 500 yard shots so effectively I am rezeroed.  The Burris Signature Zee rings are great.  With the Savage you can buy the Warne one-piece base for $60-80 and it is a highly regarded steel base.  I just bought some 2-piece Warne 2-piece bases, http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=521143, and they aligned well.  I think that all of the benchrest or at least tactical minded people like Picatinny 1913 bases because they are cool.  In theory, the Picatinny rail lets you swap scope A from rifle A to rifle B without having to move the rings on the scope.  I fail to see what the practical benefit is.  I honestly think that the Weaver versus Picatinny arguement is snobbery.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Scope & mount question
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »
I like the Warne Picatinny rail's, not because I am a snob but I shoot some stout recoil rifles and the Weaver rings just don't hold up to the heavy recoil. I don't switch scopes between rifles, everyone of my rifles or barrels has it's own scope. Weaver mounts have worked for people for years so I am not downing them in anyway.

As far as a scope, have you looked in the classified add's? You can pick up a good quality used scope at a good price.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jrhen

Scope & mount question
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:54:18 PM »
I am going to stay out of the ring selections disscussion, I use both systems and have had good results with each...

You did not say what caliber your rifle is.... I bought my son a Savage 110 package 300 Win mag and without measuring we replaced the scope with leupold vxi 4x10x40mm...the scope was shorter than the opening of his action.  It took me three orders to get the correct extended mounts.  If memory serves me I wound up using Burris because they worked.

The reason why I didn't go with a one piece Weaver style system was because of the clearance of the ammo to the bottom of the mount base and his big fingers (he was 5'10 and 240 @ 15yrs) being able to get into the action to push the round into the mag.  I have a one piece mount on another savage and it really frustrated him to load it.  

Personally I like a gold ring on my scopes but I have helped friends mount refurb Nikons on their rifles and danged if that cow elk or deer didn't drop just the same... I wouldn't own a rifleman series scope either, vxI yes.  I don't want to inflame the Nikon over Leuopld debate but there is that gold ring you see... No knock against burris (I own one of these to and a spotting scope), just double check their measurements before jumping in to one of their package deals if your so inclind.  They are really attactive offers but the scope is a little short.   Even if you have a short action rifle measure just to be safe.  You will get more bang for the buck with a 3x9 it is the bread and butter of the scope industry.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
Scope & mount question
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 01:38:48 AM »
jrhen commented:
You did not say what caliber your rifle is....

It is a .270 Winchester.  I was considering the new Simmons Aetec 2.8-10X44mm (I think those are the correct spec's).  From what I've heard, seems like a good buy for around $200.

Offline bluebayou

Scope & mount question
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 08:46:18 AM »
Opening my mouth even more here.......Don't buy the Simmons AETEC.  I have plenty of upper end Simmons scopes and I love them.  BUT, $200 on the new and unproven Master Series is not a good move in my opinion.  Spend $200 on a Leupold VX-1 (there I said it, Mr. Redhawk) or on a Nikon Buckmaster and have some money left over.