Author Topic: 8 1/2 INCHES AND STILL RAINING  (Read 614 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
8 1/2 INCHES AND STILL RAINING
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:14:03 AM »
8 1/2" overnight and still raining.
Two leaks in the roof around some vents.
No street flooding.
How are you folks doing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:32:47 AM »
WilliamLayton:

I thought West Virginny had a patent on the "By God" qualifier in state names, as in "I come from West, By God!".
Safety first

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:30:31 AM »
Well now, I probably did plaguerize some, but, it was better than what Sam Houston said to the folks in Tennesse when he told them "You can go to hell and I will go to Texas."
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 05:35:01 AM »
Send some of it this way, it might help with the fires.  Rain is something we get very little of.

My brother lives in Waco, he tells me about how things are down there.  Looks like tornados and rain are your worst enimies.  Good luck hope it lets up soon.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »
Anyway, back to the weather. It's been an unusually windy spring here in central MN, with strong gusting from the southwest being common. This I remark on because it's the worst wind direction for shooting at my range. I can't get out of the wind and it wreaks havoc on my scores when shooting in an unsupported standing position.
Safety first

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
It's so dry here the trees are begging the dogs to pee on them......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Rain
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »
William Wish you could send the rain north! Up north of Tyler
 we are dry as a popcorn fa--. Marv.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 12:26:28 AM »
I live on the coast in Houston--well, Deer Park, but no one knows where in the hay that is, and as I type I hear the splash of rain, AGAIN.
We are used to a good amount of rain, 55" or so a year, the last several years have been less due to a S/W wind disposition.
Our drainage system will generally hold up to rains such as yesterday, when it takes 5/6 hours to get the 8 inches we had. generally we can expect big gulps two or three times a year, 6/7 inches overnight or over a day.
It is the 12/15 inches or more in two or three hours that cause the problem. just two miles from my home, Pasadena got 11 inches last night and had some minor flooding concerns, IF flooding is to be considered minor.
Just the lay of the land boys.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 01:36:16 AM »
I spoke with my sister last evening, who lives in a Houston suburb.  She was unable to get to work in downtown.  She has to reguarly drain her pool due to the amount of rain that has fallen, but says she dry ...so far!

Last year during the hurricane she made it 70 miles before she could go no further. A kind retired couple welcomed her and her dogs into their home for a few days.  A friendship developed and they visit each other reguarly.

EVOC ONE

Offline magooch

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 03:28:23 AM »
Up here in the Northwest it rains a lot compared to some places, but I've never seen it rain as hard as what it does in Texas.  We might get 8 inches in a bad winter-time month, but we seldom ever get more than a couple inches in a day.  

The weather here right now is absolutely perfect.
Swingem

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 05:13:30 AM »
:D When people hear that Texas has recieved 10-12 inches most think the state is flooded, but the truth is there are still many parts of Texas that has not seen rain in several years.  We have been blessed in my part of West Texas with rain and are currently a little ahead of our annual rainfall average.  Things are starting to green up and looks good, but I have seen it so dry we had to dust the fish for ticks and fleas. :wink:

Our thought and prayers are with the people in the Houston area, the weather report this morning forecast more rain today. Be safe and keep your powder dry........... :D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 08:55:38 AM »
Now I am not downplaying hurricanes--AT ALL. These here little tropical fronts that develope right along the coast can bring about devistation that one cannot imagine.
Sure the hurricanes bring wind and a lot of damage and the storm surge is deadly, I respect them and spent 21 hours making a 3 hour trip to Salado last year during Rita.
That said, the hurricanes do move thru fairly quickly, but these dang tropical fronts just hang out and dump gosh awful amounts of water in one spot in a very short period of time--hours.
In 1978 a little town south of Houston, Alvin, recieved 49 inches of rain in 24 hours--then the front moved to friendwood and pasadena and we got about 13 inches.
2000 saw one move to the west side of Houston and dump about 18 inches then it moved back to the gulf and came in the next day over us--we got 15 inches in about 5 hours and 2miles to the north, as the crow flies they got 30 inches.
Dang I hate tropical storms.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD