Author Topic: Heaviest Bullet in 22Hornet  (Read 1434 times)

Offline rock-steady

• Trade Count: (0)
Heaviest Bullet in 22Hornet
« on: June 19, 2006, 03:21:11 AM »
What is the heaviest bullet that will stabilize in the NEF Hornet? I tried some 33gr TNT's this weekend with disappointing results; 4" groups at 100yds. I have some 63gr Sierra bullets that i want to try. Velocity is not as important as accuracy at 100yds. I'm looking for a super-accurate load to compete in turkey-shoots.

Offline CyberSniper

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »
If the rifle uses the old standard of 1 turn in 16 inches twist rate for the Hornet,
anything over 50 grains probably won't shoot well.
Even a lot of 50 grainers probably won't.
Try a 35 grain Hornady V Max. They are a shorter bullet, and have
shot very well for me in a Ruger. Or a 40 grain Sierra Hornet bullet,
or a 40 grain Speer spire point.
Longer, more streamlined bullets may not shoot as well as the
shorter nosed bullets designed for the Hornet.

Offline rock-steady

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:21:39 AM »
The twist rate chart on the FAQ thread has the 22 Hornet listed at 1:12".  I was wondering if anyone here had experimented with bullets heavier than 50gr in the NEF Hornet. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't a faster rate of twist stabilize a heavier bullet?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
Handi Hornet twist rate is 1:12" according to the FAQ which I have  confirmed, the 22mag is 1:16".  There are several members here shooting 50gr cast bullets in theirs, but most shoot the 35gr and 40gr Vmax. Anything heavier would be better served in a .223 Rem, IMO. :wink:

If I wanted to shoot a heavier bullet, the 60gr Vmax, 63gr Sierra #1370 or 64gr Winchester PP would be my first choices, they all shoot well in 1:12" .223 Handi barrels, but I don't know if the Hornet could push them fast enough to stabilize, that would remain to be seen.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 12:58:45 PM »
Interesting article here http://www.alamanceind.com/newfol~5/nation_83.html .

I've never tried any info from this article in my Hornet and make no garuntees as to it's accuracy or safety in terms of reloading data.

I found this when searching for info on the Speer 1035. Article mentions a big cavity up-front.  Understatement to say the least. A friend of mine highly recommends these bullets for 223 Rem and P'Dogs. He is also seriously considering them in his Highpower Service Rifle load.

Cheap too. I'll be getting some for experimental purposes in my 223's and might try them in my Hornet.

Nixter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »
Velly Intellesting!!! Thanks Nixter!! :grin:

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=480539

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
Tim,

I didn't read the article yet, so I hope this isn't redundant.

I have shot 50, 55 and 60 gr V-Max out of my Hornet.  Even though the 60 gr is designed for 1 in 12" twist (I use it in my .223 Handi), the Hornet doesn't generate enough velocity to stabilize the bullet.  It key holes on 100 yard targets (remember I only have a 20" SL barrel, so velocity is going to be a little less than a 22" barrel).

The 50 gr and 55 gr will stabilize, but I got to thinking why use them?  I have a .223 that shoots those heavier bullets just fine, so why try to stretch the Hornet?  So, I just use 40 gr V-Max and I'm happy with the results!  :wink:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:55:26 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Anything heavier would be better served in a .223 Rem, IMO. :wink:

My thoughts exactly, Paul!! :agree:  :agree: :agree:

Tim

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 05:13:22 PM »
Well, I read the article and it seems the "Whisper" concept is the goal.  However, what was published was far from a subsonic round.

A .38 Special wadcutter in a .357 Mag Handi  is much quieter than a heavy supersonic bullet .22 Hornet.

I haven't finished playing with cast bullets in the Hornet, but for accuracy it seems like 1600 fps, like Lyman says, is going to be pretty close to max.  That should make it fairly quiet.

Offline rock-steady

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:54:03 AM »
I have used the 52gr Sierra BTHP for many years in a Ruger M77/22. What I'm looking for now, is a super-accurate load in the NEF Hornet for competing in local contests aka "turkey shoots".  Not loads for shooting at live animals. I guess I have more experimenting to do. Thanks. :D

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 04:24:56 AM »
RS,

The "goal" I was referring to was the goal presented in the article.  I had forgotten you were wanting a turkey shoot load.  

The loads I used in R-P brass were:
12.5  gr Lil'Gun with the 50 gr V-Max 1 3/8" @ 100 yards
12.5 gr Lil'Gun with 55 gr V-Max (no note on group size)
12.0 gr Lil'Gun with 60 gr V-Max note says "Not Good!"
13.0 gr Lil'Gun with 46 gr Win HP 1 1/2" @ 100 yards

I always use a CCI 400 with my Hornet loads and the OAL was 1.935".

Obviously these aren't what I call "super accurate", since the 40 gr V-Max with 13.5 gr Lil'Gun will shoot 1" or less out of my gun.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 08:16:49 PM »
On another board while reading about reloading the Hornet, INCREASING the powder charge by a 1/2 grain above MAX "brought a load in for the barrel" that particular poster reported.

So if you have probbs about exceeding MAXIMUM, try increasing the powder charge by 1/10th or 2/10th increments looking for pressure signs as well as how well it prints on paper.

ALSO, I read about constant reminders by experienced and veteran Hornet/ K-Hornet reloaders that one should NEVER use SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS!

Rather, ONLY USE SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS when reloading the Hornet or K-Hornet!

Perhaps some things to consider?  I'm not a 'Hornet shooter' yet, but I'm actually looking forward to getting a K-Hornet barrel for my Handi-Rifle.  I am an avid reloader too and constantly study cartridges and making them "pop" again.

A third consideration I'd also look into - is crimping [however light or heavy] the case and bullet.

Plus the 1-in-12 twist in the NEF barrels should be plenty fast enough to stabilize bullets in the 50 and even 55-grain weights.  1-in-12 is frequently used for the .221 Fireball (rifles).

Offline coyotehunter223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 12:19:47 AM »
I've had excellent results with 55gr bullets in my Handi Hornet. Without a doubt, try Lil Gun for the heavy bullets. Heavy bullets just love it! My favorite recipe for 55gr bullets is:

55 vmax
12.0gr lil gun
WW brass
BR-4 primer
1.940 C.O.L
[/img]

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 04:02:56 AM »
Rather, ONLY USE SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS when reloading the Hornet or K-Hornet!
This seems rather unusual, since there is very little energy difference between SP and SR primers.  The major difference is in the hardness of the primer cup.  A Handi shouldn't have a problem with however hard you want to use.  :wink:

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
Re: small pistol Primers
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 12:21:45 PM »
From Speers addendum to their reloading data for the 22 Hornet.

"Important Primer Note: These loads use standard CCI small pistol primers for ballistic uniformity, DO NOT use any Magnum primer or small rifle primer or high pressure will result.

Granted, the addedum was included in the info for their 33 gr TNT bullet but my point in posting was to show that the use of small pistol primers in the 22 Hornet isn't unheard of.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/ReloadingSupplementalDATA/22h33tnt.pdf

Just for what it's worth. Yes, I know the original topic was heavy bullets in the Hornet but primers came up in the discussion as well.

Hope this info is usefull to someone.

Nixter :D

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »
I just looked in my Speer #13 on pages 128-130 and found the loads to be made with CCI 400s.  The handgun section has the same primer listed.  When Speer #13 was printed, they didn't make the 33 gr TNT.

That isn't to say Speer didn't make that addendum, which they did, but there have been quite a few Hornets loaded with small rifle primers and they haven't had pressure problems.

Part of the situation may reside in their selection of the smaller W-W cases, whereas I use R-P cases.
 :roll:

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 10:42:30 PM »
RE: Primers for the Hornet ......

I offered my comments about 'primer-possibilities' when reloading the Hornet from info I've collected from writers who reload that cartridge.

No one says one can't use whatever they want, but along with recommendations to use SMALL PISTOL rather than SMALL RIFLE primers in the Hornet - were recommens that one use Remington 7 1/2 and even 6 1/2 primers.

In that discussion I think CCI BR4 SR MATCH were also mentioned, but the preference was for Remington 6 1/2's and 7 1/2's in that order.

Two writers who have both discussed the .22 Hornet and suggested SP caps, are Rocky Raab and Ken Waters [who used to write the 'Pet Loads' column in the Handloader/Rifle, Wolfe Publishing magazines].

Plus, more than 4 out of 5 reloaders (it seems to me) who have used Lil'Gun in that cartridge express considerable success with that propellent.

FWEIW!!