Author Topic: Fast Twist .223  (Read 879 times)

Offline tacshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Fast Twist .223
« on: July 01, 2006, 07:02:23 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a Handi again after selling them all. How do you know the new Fast Twist Rate guns from earlier production models? I want to shoot heavy bullets in the 77-90 grain range.

Thaks Tacshooter! :sniper:
NRA Life Member
NRA Practical Pistol Instructor
Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
Proud Father of a Decorated Combat Soldier who fought in Iraq!
PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS IN IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN!

I CAN ONLY HIT WHAT I SEE IN MY CROSSHAIRS.... :sniper:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Fast Twist .223
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 07:13:57 AM »
The best way to find out is to run a tight patch down the bore on a rod to measure the twist rate, other than that, getting a fluted barrel made this year would be the only way to insure that you were getting a 1:9" twist barrel. Some of the early 2005 fluted barrels were still 1:12", so you couldn't tell when it was made other than the year by the serial number which denotes build date, see the FAQ.

IIRC, even the 1:9" won't shoot anything heavier than 65gr, for what my memory is worth!!  :-[

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Fast Twist .223
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 07:14:47 AM »
The only way i know for sure is to check the twist rate with a cleaning rod and patch . H&R says that the new rifles will have the 1-9 twist but you don't know if the barrel is from a older run , so even looking up the date may not tell you for sure .

Or get the flutted barrel but i think even some of them may have the 1-12 twist .  :?
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline tacshooter

Checking twist rate
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:33:45 AM »
I dont think the folks at Bass Pro Shops will want to take the time to do the twist test. I thought maybe prefix on the serial number would be an identifier?

Thanks Tac......... :sniper:
NRA Life Member
NRA Practical Pistol Instructor
Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
Proud Father of a Decorated Combat Soldier who fought in Iraq!
PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS IN IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN!

I CAN ONLY HIT WHAT I SEE IN MY CROSSHAIRS.... :sniper:

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Fast Twist .223
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »
If it were only that simple we would all be happy campers .  :wink:
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Fast Twist .223
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 10:45:47 AM »
You might give H&R a call and ask em if they have a cutoff serial number for the 1:12" barrels in Handis, Ultras or Fluted Ultras, seems to me someone tried that and they couldn't say, but like I said, I'm relying on my memory which isn't always what I'd trust! :lol:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 6mmruger

Re: Fast Twist .223
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 06:37:32 AM »
I have one with the 1:9 twist and it will not shoot the heavier bullets.  I tried some 64 grns and the groups where about 3 in. I tried 6 powders behind them.  I am currently shooting 45gr Sierra's and i get consistant .75 5 shot groups.  Seems a weird to me.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 07:50:16 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a Handi again after selling them all. How do you know the new Fast Twist Rate guns from earlier production models? I want to shoot heavy bullets in the 77-90 grain range.

Thaks Tacshooter! :sniper:

As far as checking the twist, I believe that was covered well.

The 1-9 is normally fast enough for the 68 & 69gr. bullets but I
doubt it would work well with the 77MK & I know it won't work at all with the 80-90 grain bullets.
I have a 1-8 RRA Varmiter that loves the 77MK & 75 Hor.OTM, but I believe you would need a 1-7 or faster for the 90.

6mmruger, it is indeed strange but I have seen that happen in other calibers too where a gun would not shoot the bullets that it should but do well with a lighter one than it should. Also consider that your gun may not like that particular bullet & it may not be a matter of twist at all, that happens alot. Have you
tried the 60Gr. Hor. Soft Point, it has qualities like the 64 Winchester & then for small Varmits you can switch to the 60V-Max with minimal adjustment. The 65GK is another.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 07:34:58 PM »
With the extreamly shallow grooves in a Handi 223 it is very unlikely that most heavy bullets will work well in the fast  1-9 twist. The initial inertia of the heavy bullet will reluctently turn when it first enters the shallow grooves and will strip some of the jacket metal before it starts to turn.

This of course would unbalance the bullet. Just my idea because I have not heard of any Handi shooting well with heavy bullets. Although I never thought much of a 1-9" twist in a 223 Handi. If you want to shoot 75 and 80gr bullets a 6mm bore is a much better choice.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.