Author Topic: 8 guage  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
8 guage
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:54:46 AM »
I'm building a couple of 8 gauge barrels now. Do you happen to have any pictures of your breech loader?

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
8 guage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
Some veiws of the breech assy.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
8 guage
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 12:59:14 PM »
Guardsgunner,can`t tell much from your photos they posted real small.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Looking for 8 Gauge barrel..
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi Powder Keg,

I sent an email Not sure if it went thru. relating the 8 gauge Barrels your Building.

Thanks,
EL

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
8 Gauge Barrels
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 03:53:24 AM »
Hi Powder Keg , Just how big is 8 gauge,what type of closure system are you using,and are you making your own casings?Any photos yet?   :D

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 04:46:42 AM »
Just came on line with My Hosted Pics so here are a few photos of my 40 mm.Its due for paint soon.      

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
8 guage
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »
Those were great pics of your 40mm. On the pic of the projectile and load what is the metal part. I'm assuming it's to seal the bore and prevent gasses from leaking but what is it made of?

Andy

P.S. Please post more pics of her.
Save Legionville

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
The base plug is rubber with a steel plate vulcanized to it , it is bolted to a copper rim by a stainless steel bolt that is drilled for a shotgun primer. 100% seal works very well.The fit on the plug can be adjusted by the bolt.        

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
8 guage
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 05:04:05 AM »
Thanks very ingenious I would have never thought of that.
Andy
Save Legionville

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 09:33:28 AM »
I just learned how to resize photos, so here is one of my 40 mm rifles.  

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
8 guage
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:46:14 AM »
That is a beautiful gun.  Tell us about the construction.  Where did you get the barrel?   What gun does it replicate. At first I thought it might be a Whitworth but then I'm not sure.  I think I have seen that gun design some where before.

You are going to  have to give us some details on the breeching system. How does it work?

Who built your bullet mould?  Is the projectile zinc?  Where are you shooting?

Offline Double D

8 guage
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 11:46:37 AM »
That is a beautiful gun.  Tell us about the construction.  Where did you get the barrel?   What gun does it replicate. At first I thought it might be a Whitworth but then I'm not sure.  I think I have seen that gun design some where before.

You are going to  have to give us some details on the breeching system. How does it work?

Who built your bullet mould?  Is the projectile zinc?  Where are you shooting?

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 04:54:51 PM »
My barrels came from the ship scrap yards in Portland Oregon in the mid 70`s.I got the last 3in-50 barrel they had for $50.00. I missed the piles of 40mm barrels stacked up like fire wood,but i did see dumpsters full of 3&4 foot 40mm barrels for .20 cents a pound,bought 3 of them. Spent most of my mony on 3 in barrels. It makes me sick to think that most of the barrels were shipped overseas and melted down.I was going to school at the time and didn`t have alot of money .The 40mm barrels are modeled after the Whintworth Rifle with a few more modern adaptations.I have my own shop so I do all my own work, sure is fun!    

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
8 guage
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 05:51:05 PM »
Hi,

8 gauge shells are .900" in dia.  I have been busy and have just been gathering the stuff to build the barrles. I'll post some pictures this weekend. I should get a good start by then.

That is a nice looking mold you have there.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
Re: Breach Loaders
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
Quote from: moose53
My barrels came from the ship scrap yards in Portland Oregon in the mid 70`s.I got the last 3in-50 barrel they had for $50.00. I missed the piles of 40mm barrels stacked up like fire wood,but i did see dumpsters full of 3&4 foot 40mm barrels for .20 cents a pound,bought 3 of them.

I was just on Big Sky Surplus looks like th prices went up a bit :cry:
40MM  BOFORS NAVY L-60 AA—  FULL LENGTH BARREL— $2,900 ea.
40MM  BOFORS NAVY L-60 AA FULL LENGTH BARREL (with water jacket) — $2,995 ea.
40MM  BOFORS L-60 BARREL CUT IN ½     MUZZLE END  —   $995 ea.
40MM  BOFORS L-60 BARREL CUT IN ½    CHAMBER END— $995 ea

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Breach Loaders
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
[quote="rifleshooter2
I was just on Big Sky Surplus looks like th prices went up a bit :cry:
40MM  BOFORS NAVY L-60 AA—  FULL LENGTH BARREL— $2,900 ea.
40MM  BOFORS NAVY L-60 AA FULL LENGTH BARREL (with water jacket) — $2,995 ea.
40MM  BOFORS L-60 BARREL CUT IN ½     MUZZLE END  —   $995 ea.
40MM  BOFORS L-60 BARREL CUT IN ½    CHAMBER END— $995 ea

Andy[/quote]

Big Sky Surplus is where I got my 20 M/M bbl to make my very simple version of the "Whitworth" but it's nothing compared to the breech loader in the pictures above.  Big Sky Surplus does have a LOT of stuff but his communication skills leave a lot to be desired..l.  :x
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
8 guage
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
Almost forgot. I can make an addaptor to go from 8 to 10 or 12 gauge if needed. That is what I had planned on doing because 8's are hard to come buy.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 06:01:25 PM »
Powder Keg, Did you know that cases are fairly simple to make?They can be formed out of brass or copper.Once the formers are made its just a matter of cranking them out.Here are photos of my 40mm copper cases I use for blanks.      

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
8 guage
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »
Hey Moose,

I think I forgot to welcome you to the board. Welcome. How about posting some more information on making your own casings. I for one am interested.      Do you machine the base and attach it to the tube?

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
The formers are simple for the cases.The trick is to find stock tubing that is close to the size you need.The base has a 1/4in lip machined in it for fit in the tube,with .002in per side for silver solder.If you use copper for the base you have to reinforce the primer pocket,after a few rounds the primers are loose.Brass would work better for the base and copper works well for the tube.Fire form the cases for final fit(most fun).I can make a case in about 1/2hr.Anneal the tube before you try to form it .  

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
8 guage
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
I've never seen a "former" work? could you please explain it to me? It sounds like it would work best if the bases were machined from brass and the tube was copper pipe. The two are then just soldered togather. Right? Sounds easy enough. Also could you explain how you "fire form" your cases? Thanks for your help. It is fun to learn new things here on this forum.

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Double D

8 guage
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »
I got caught up in this very interesting thread and overlooked another issue.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
PART 479—MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS
Subpart B—Definitions
Antique firearm. Any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

ATF regs do allow Antique Cannons shooting fixed ammo. The key is for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

We need to be be very carefull in this discussion to be sure the gun and ammo we are talking about meet this criteria.

Now to get on with the discussion...

Heat softens brass, working hardens it.  Normal brass cartridges have a work hardened head to give it strength. The case body is slightly less hard to allow spring expansion and yet still have strength enough to hold and seal the pressurized gas from escaping.  The neck is soft to allow projectile release.

How do you deal with the annealing effect of soldering brass to copper or vice versa in the head area?

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Breach Loaders
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 07:21:09 PM »
I did not know the ATF made allowance for any fixed amunition,that is very nice to know.None of the cases I made can hold a shell.Do you know when the Hotchkiss Mountain Rifle was put into service,and would it be considered exempt?

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
8 guage
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 02:30:52 AM »
I think if it uses fixed ammo you are going to have problems?

DD my intents are to build cases for my blank firing signal cannons. They are almost imposible to buy.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Double D

8 guage
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 04:50:13 AM »
South of the equater and in the middle of winter down here and a little slow on the up take,  It appears we have two thread going on here in one.  Lety m see I if I can split them out.

Offline Double D

8 guage
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 08:29:26 AM »
Well I made a mush of that this thread is for discussion on the 8 guage signal gun.