Author Topic: First time owner of a handi rifle  (Read 699 times)

Offline fishinguy

• Trade Count: (0)
First time owner of a handi rifle
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:47:11 PM »
I just bought my first handi rifle (30-06) the other day.   ;D  I have a few questions about the new barrel program.  I am getting a muzzleloading barrel in the very near future and I was wondering about how long it takes to get your reciever/stock back.  I read on the H&R web site that the barrels take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive but does that mean that you are without a receiver for that long too or do that send that back before hand?  I also saw some barrels for sale on this site, ebay etc.  So Ii would like to know whats involved in the "fitting" process?  I am by no means a gunsmith however I am somewhat mechanical. 

I appologise if any of these questions were already answered previously.  I went back a few pages and could not find the exact answer i was looking for.

Marc

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: First time owner of a handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
Marc

Lets try this again , Welcome to GBO and the crazy world of handi-holics . The bad news is , yes they will have your frame and stock the whole time , the good news is most don't take that long , some in as little as 3 weeks .

As for used barrels , you can get all the info for fitting in the FAQ's at the top of the CF page . My last 3 barrels needed no fitting at all . if you can use a can opener or change your own spark plugs you should have enough mech. skill to fit a barrel with the right info.

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:37:07 PM »
Marc

I agree with stimpy.  Only problem is, some of the different barrels are a little tough to come up with unless you send in your receiver and get one from H&R. 

Beware, I started with one and now have 5 receivers and 9 barrels.  It truly is addicting.

Josh

Offline fishinguy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated!

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:49:07 PM »

Welcome Fishinguy to GBO forums! I see another Handi-holic in the makeing.
 One is not enough,  Take care  and enjoy Marv.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »
Welcome Fishinguy and come back often, let us know how your new handi shoots.

John

Offline fishinguy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »
I shot my new handi this morning and the results were pleasing.  The bullets that i tried were 180 gr winchester ballistic silvertips and 165 gr remington core lokt psp.  My groups with the remys were what i would expect however the winchesters were all over the place and i couldnt get a very nice group out of them.  I would do 5 shots and then let my barrel cool down so the hot barrel was not the reason behind it.   I will try the same remys and some differnt brands next time I go to the range.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 05:03:35 PM »

The reason they were all over the place is simple...it's the Lubalox black coating...My favorite bullets so-far has been the Silver BT's...and if you mix them with plain jacketed...or even worse...any of the blue Barnes bullets...you will be disapointed 4-sure..and have a heck of a time cleaning it all out....Also...since your barrel isn't broken in yet...take a look up in the FAQ's about lapping/polishing it...I do all my barrels with Flitz...and it helps a-lot...and saves quite a bit of shootiing on your breaking in process..
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...