Author Topic: New Nipple Maker  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
New Nipple Maker
« on: April 17, 2003, 04:46:13 PM »
I'm getting ready to try a new American made precision CNC nipple as sold by a BP dealer here in the U.S.A. I told him that if it were what he claimed it to be then I would spread the word here. He says these are stainless and unlike other makers these will take a #11 cap w/o needing to be pinched. They are Rockwell 45 if I remember correctly and he is selling them for $2.50 each. I have on order 6 for Pietta & 6 for Uberti style threads. If they are as good as promised then is anyone else interested?

Offline Buckshotliam

New Nipple Maker
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 07:28:47 PM »
yeah, tell us how they work for you!

Offline River runner

• Avid Poster
New Nipple Maker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 08:50:36 PM »
I'm interested. RR :D

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
New Nipple Maker
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 01:15:29 AM »
Esteemed Board

Granted, I don't shoot my pistols constantly, but I've never changed out a nipple.  Only take them out when cleaning and re-install.   Am I missing something?  

I have one that likes #11s, and two that want #10s, and I have no problem with this.  I just have to remember which capper has which caps.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
New Nipple Maker
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 03:56:25 AM »
I have a Colt M1861 (from CBAC) that takes #11's, which is fine with me, but I've been unable to get CBAC to answer me about getting more if these wear out, break, whatever. It would really be nice if he could make these out of the alloy that used to be called "Ampco"; the stuff is extremely heat-conductive, so the heat never gets to them long enough to cause erosion. The Ampco company went out of business up here in Milwaukee some years ago, and I don't know who holds the patents, if anyone. The stuff is a Beryllium alloy, and it is my understanding that Beryllium dust is extremely hazardous to work around; that may be why no one else has taken up the manufacture of the alloy.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline Flint

nipples
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 07:48:24 AM »
I found, that with a shim washer .310.OD, .210 ID and .015 thick (made them on a lathe from 5/16 brass rod), the Uberti revolver will take Ruger Old Army nipples.  You need a hex socket wrench or Ruger nipple wrench to install them.  They like Remington #10 caps.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Boge

New Nipple Maker
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 10:23:24 AM »
I tried them today & they are easily the best nipples I've seen & used. A #10 Remington cap is a perfect fit, needing only to be snugged with a dowel.

Go here to buy:  http://cap-n-ball.com/thunder/

Ask for his newly made American nipples.