Author Topic: A question of Ethics  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
A question of Ethics
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 09:59:34 AM »
GB, I nerver CLAIMED to be the arbiter of ethics on this site, I stating my OPINION!!  Do we have a new standard here saying that one cannot express his opinion on the subject of ethics?  If ethics is not a legitimate topic of discussion here then hey, just stand right up and say so GB!  But as long as it is any person should be allowed to express his opinion.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline victorcharlie

A question of Ethics
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 10:21:16 AM »
You've said it about 10 times now.  We all know you think it's un-ethical not to eat toe nails from  old bears.........

You also know that there are some of us who see no problem with it.......because it's been said about 10 times.

We heard you the first time okay?

Every body has there own rules to live by.....you've got yours, I've got mine........You want to eat bear fine........If I want to let him lay......fine.......

Understand that there are people who disagree with you.......and let it go.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
A question of Ethics
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »
GB, I nerver CLAIMED to be the arbiter of ethics on this site, I stating my OPINION!! Do we have a new standard here saying that one cannot express his opinion on the subject of ethics? If ethics is not a legitimate topic of discussion here then hey, just stand right up and say so GB! But as long as it is any person should be allowed to express his opinion.

I think Dusty you need to learn to read your own postings. I'll copy it for you here so you can.

Legal SCHMEEGAL GB, we aren't talk'n about the LAW here!! We're talking about ETHICAL BEHAVIOR!! I don't give an airborne rodent's posterior if it's a ground squirrel or a Cape Buffalo, if you slay the animal and leave the meat to rot THAT is just flat out unethical!!!!!! To kill just for the sake of taking home a trophy head or skin without regard to the use of the animals meat is a practice common to the bottom feeders of society and from my perspective they should be held in contempt. Why this is not patently obvious to any human being with a lick of intelligence is his/her head just flabbergasts me. I sincerely hope that PETA crowd is not monitoring this web site 'cuz there's LOTS of ammo here to help their cause!

Now just where in there did you say that was "your opinion" or "your ethics" ONLY. Oh no, you put it out as a flat statement as if it were universal truth.

IT IS NOT.

I don't care what you state "as your opinion" on this or any other issue. BUT you're NOT stating it as YOUR OPINION but as FACT. It ain't fact it's merely what you subscribe to.

The problem with ethics discussions is that ethics are not universal. They are NOT written in stone. They are not the EXACT same for any two folks visiting this site I dare say. For certain your ethics and mine are NOT the same. That's not to say either mine or yours are superior to the other, they are just different because we are different folks.

If it's legal and IF the person faced with the situation believes it to be ethical then it is ethical for him at that moment in time. If it's NOT legal then personally I question how it can be ethical. Moral maybe. I think it's own HUMANITY not our ethics that cause us to violate the law at times because we feel it's the RIGHT thing to do. I see that as somewhat different than ethics personally, maybe you don't.

BUT damn it you are NOT gonna come on here and preach to us that YOUR ethics are the standard and anyone not conforming to them is wrong and that is EXACTLY what you did in the quote above and on my others you've made. That is what I've said ends and it does one way or another.

State it as YOUR opinion that it is such and so and I could care less. But you are not going to tell us what our standards of ethics must be based on yours.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dusty Miller

A question of Ethics
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »
GB, is it now a requirement that one STATE he is offering an opinion? Anytime there is a discussion concerning VALUES then people are expressing opinions, I thought that was understood from the git go.  If we are discussing the length of a shotgun barrel and then we can quantify that and measure it to determine the length of specific shotgun barrels.  Whenever we discuss values however, then it becomes an entirely subjective matter and quantification is nearly impossible.  Therefore, we are offering our opinions.  Since I've never hobnobbed with Plato or any of the other great  philosophers I can't even PRETEND to be the final arbitor on any question of ethics!  But, I do have my point of view and I'd like to be able to express it even if it conflicts with how others feel.  Now, I hope that lays this matter to rest.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
A question of Ethics
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2006, 06:51:20 AM »
You are certainly free to express your opinions even when they differ with mine or from the majority. BUT don't state it as if it's fact or THE LAST WORD on the matter. State it as opinion.

The way you've been doing this you've been putting it out in a manner that makes all the rest of us think you're setting your values up as the ONLY values to be considered.

For example:

Legal SCHMEEGAL GB, we aren't talk'n about the LAW here!! We're talking about ETHICAL BEHAVIOR!! I don't give an airborne rodent's posterior if it's a ground squirrel or a Cape Buffalo, if you slay the animal and leave the meat to rot THAT is just flat out unethical!!!!!!

There is no way that could be taken as personal opinion only from reading it. You seem to be setting your views as the standard we must all accept. So in the case above it should have said: "in my opinion" or "as far as I'm concerned" or something to let us know you're telling us ONLY how you feel not how we're supposed to feel also.

Bill aka the Graybeard

Offline Dusty Miller

A question of Ethics
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2006, 08:46:26 AM »
I think that's just your interpretation, I see it differently, but I'll make it a point in the future to be sure and clarify that issue by declaring it my opinion and perhaps we can avoid these flare-ups.  OK?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
A question of Ethics
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2006, 11:22:57 AM »
Works for me. Had I seen any reason to think it was "just a personal opinion" you were expounding rather than telling us all that's the way it is then none of it would have happened.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!