Author Topic: Larger objectives = better resolution?  (Read 817 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Larger objectives = better resolution?
« on: March 31, 2003, 07:33:20 AM »
Relevant to my post on the Outdoor Life magazine article, it was stated that the Elite 4200 4x-16x-40mm had a resolution factor of 3.3 SOA which tied with the Zeiss Conquest that had larger 44mm objectives.  The article further stated that the Elite's resolution was surprizing given it's smaller objective lenses.

Many people are not big believers in scopes with 50mm objections in part because they do not believe that these huge objectives actually benefit hunters in true hunting situations because no that much light really comes in.  However, that is not the subject of my post.

Rather, my question is not one of "brightness," but rather one of "resolution."  A scope may be bright, but it may not be "clear" or "sharp."

As a result, the article's statement leads one to believe that, all else being equal, larger objective scopes provide better resolution.  

Is this true?

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 10:23:50 AM »
Absolutely NOT.

The thing that determines resolution is the quality of the lens and their coatings not the size of the lens. Optical Theory 101.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 11:36:48 AM »
I agree with GB. My Burris Signature 1.6x6 has a small objective lens diameter but is very clear. It's also much brighter than you would expect. Dave

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 01:14:11 PM »
I just picked up a 6x24x40 4200 Elite for my 22/250 and It is by far supperior to any of my 50mm scopes. In fact I have come to the conclusion that 50mm scopes are generally more show than go for any kind of real application.  KN

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 03:01:07 PM »
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 and ck'd it against my buddy's new Bushnell 4200 2.5x10.40 (I think the size is correct).  I have to say the Bushnell was every bit as clear.  When I get another scope, as much as I like Zeiss and Nikon, it will probably be a Bushnell 4200
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 04:33:54 PM »
Yea, I too have a couple of Elite 4200s - I really love 'em.  They make my Leupold Vari-X IIIs look kinda inferior.  :drink4:

Zachary

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Very Strange
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 12:07:59 AM »
THat is a very strange article. Based on the way you have it worded it does make a corralation between lens size and resolution. This is obviously a false correlation as the follow-up posts state.

Do you have the date of the article ?  I also read some place that Outdoor Life Magazine was going to be "hanging it up" and going out of publication. Don't know if this is true or I have them mixed up with someone else. If I don't it would not surprise me with an article like that.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 04:34:30 AM »
I don't know of the extact date.  I remember reading it on hard copy about a year or so ago, so it's not like its 5 or more years old - it's kinda recent.  Still, I agree, it is somwhat an unusual article.

Zachary