Author Topic: Fixed my trigger yesterday  (Read 445 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Fixed my trigger yesterday
« on: July 16, 2006, 04:44:35 AM »
Hey all,

Those who've been here awhile might remmeber my "strange guy" posts.

I built a 32-40 Winchester by cutting, stubbing, and threading an NEF barrel to accept my Shilen 32 cal heavy bbl.  This was/is to be a breech seating, cast lead bullet shooting machine.

Well, I did the trigger work yesterday.  I have an RCBS trigger pull gauge and tested before I started.  Results -average of ten test pulls= 4# 13oz.  Pull was +/- 3 oz, and my pull gauge didn't go high enough, so I had to tie a 3# 12oz hammer to the trigger with fishing line!

I followed a very good set of instructions (dunno the rules for posting links, so Google "perkloafm" if you want them). and by the time I was done I was rewarded with an extrememly consistant trigger pull of 24oz.

I was surprised how much difference the pin and pivot polishing made.  This action has more that 4000 shots through it with another 1500-2000 shots of dry fire.  I'd have thought that the pins and pivots were pretty shiny already.  That was NOT the case.

I had built a stoning jig around Christmas time and finally built my slave pin yesterday.  I also made a punch out of brass for the larger pins.  (This wasn't really necessary)

Anybody with a little skill can do this work.  The slave pin is just a shank from a 3/16" wood screw.  Diameter and length of this pin are somewhat important, but can be under a bit and still work well.

What a great action to work on.  I wouldn't recommend the light trigger pull for a non-target rifle, but it is nice to know that it can be done!!
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Fixed my trigger yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:08:39 AM »
Yup, Perklo's trigger instructions are excellent, many, many first timers here have done it with excellent results, the link has been posted in the FAQ and Help along with Raynor's instructions for quite a while.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain