Author Topic: New 35 Whelen picked up today...  (Read 564 times)

Offline HUNTS

• Trade Count: (0)
New 35 Whelen picked up today...
« on: July 16, 2006, 05:52:52 PM »
Well I picked up the new rig today.  Overall I was fairly impressed with the fit and finish.  The wood was fine.  The recoil pad fit was not the greatest.  Guessing the trigger breaks around 4 lbs.

The shop offered me a good deal on a Weaver K-4 scope($125) so we mounted in with some Burris Zee rings(high).  Made some rudimentary reticle adjustments while sighting down the bore and went to a local shooting spot armed with a box of Rem 200 g coreloks.

I put a 1/2 empty gallon water jug at 75 yards and took a couple shots off a crude bench and a couple balled up jackets.  The first two shots were high and left so I made a guess at the adjustments and let another shot fly.  Nailed the jug dead center!  It flew up about 10 feet in the air and landed about 10 feet away from where it started. 

I shots a few more rounds and found that two would not ignite.  Multiple attempts didn't get the duds to fly. 

Shot some off hand pretty well and found that the recoil was not that bad.  The 250 grain may end up being too much though.  I plan to shoot mainly 200 grain for awhile and try to work up to the 250's over the summer.

After about 14 shots the action locked up and would open to allow me to remove the spent brass.  After removing the fore end I was able to get it apart.  But the gun continues to lock up on occasion and only opens after I work the release, trigger, and hammer some.  I will give it another chance at the range to see if this problem persists.  If it does I'll send it in to service. I want a .22 Hornet barrel anyhow!

Overall I give the handi rifle high marks.  Next time I will head to my regular range and shoot some paper targets to get a better idea of how she shoots.  As this will be an elk gun I hope to move up to either 225 or 250 grain bullets(maybe spring for the Sims recoil pad).  The 250 grain Speer Hot Cor shot great out of my last Whelen(Rem 7400).

The Weaver K-4 seems a perfect match to this rifle.  It's very bright and sharp and the equal of a much more expensive Leupold for me.
I'm very pleased with my new rifle.  Extractor worked well and I have confidence in it I never had with my last handi rifle and it's ejector.

I'll report back after I get to the range again.

Steve

Offline Dillohide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: New 35 Whelen picked up today...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 05:46:02 AM »
Heard nothing but good on those modern Weaver K series scopes ... solid, bright and hard to beat for the money. Thinking of putting the K-6 on my 3006.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:09:08 AM »
Had the same problem with my .35 Whelen with factory ammo.  Shot my hand loads just fine but would not shoot factory ammo consistantly.  Sent it back to NEF, They took care of the problem.  Have not had any problem with it since.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:09:46 AM »
Thanks for the report Steve. Off hand shooting can be a HUGE confidence builder, thats for sure.
 I look forward to hearing how it does on paper as well.
-Aaron