Author Topic: Visited some great mortar makers!!!  (Read 623 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Visited some great mortar makers!!!
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:32:23 AM »
  This last week I was fortunate enough to be traveling to Wisconsin and Minnesota so I got to visit with two great mortar cannon makers, Kieth Frederickson and the Paulson Brothers. It was a eye opening visit. I learned quite a bit about mortar making. The extent of the equipment and knowledge these guys have in mortar cannon making is unbeliavable. Mr. Frederickson owns a vertical lathe with a chuck as big as a round picknick table not to mention many other lathes and equipment. He has made an 8 and a 10 inch 1861 mortar and they are outstanding reproductions. The Paulsons had 2 big 13 inch dictator reproductions made not to mention an 8 and a 10 inch mortar. They were both generous enough to answer tons of my questions on video so when I get the gist of what I've learned I will share it with everyone on this forum.

Scott

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
Re: Visited some great mortar makers!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:53:46 AM »
That must have been a great visit. They did make some huge vertical turrent lathes {vtl}. I saw one last year when visiting a shop. Keep us posted.
Michael

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »
Sounds like you had a blast :D. Here is Kieth and his team shooting their 8"r last year. I've got to get to Wis. to visit the Paulsons soon.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
  This last week I was fortunate enough to be traveling to Wisconsin and Minnesota so I got to visit with two great mortar cannon makers, Kieth Frederickson and the Paulson Brothers.
  Scott

Ahhhhhh the once-in-a-lifetime journey to Mecca!

Looking forward to what you have to share!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:25:51 AM »
Scott,

I am really glad you got to do this. I know we have been less than encouraging in this project.  Now that you got to see these folks and their mortars you know what you are in for. 

So what's your next step?   

Did they give you any advice?